- American Agents Alliance
- Broker’s Insurance Group
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
University of West Los Angeles, J.D.
University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
Mark B. Robinson
Mark Robinson, M&R’s co-founder, is an insurance industry specialist who primarily represents retail brokers and agents in all aspects of their businesses. A recognized authority on regulatory issues that impact his client base, Mark’s multistate practice runs the gamut from complex mergers and acquisitions of brokerages to compliance matters, and most everything in between.
In addition to brokers and agents, Mark is also counsel for several insurance premium financing companies in connection with their business operations. Likewise, his advice is increasingly sought after by tech companies pushing to infiltrate – and disrupt – the insurance industry with innovative applications and systems to offer policies.
No matter the client, Mark’s deep understanding of regulatory laws and industry norms and relationships within various Departments of Insurance make him a go-to attorney in a wide range of matters (both domestic and international). Be it the formation of insurance brokerages, the purchase and sale of agencies, licensing, compliance, DOI investigations, market conduct examinations, the creation of producer agreements, or employment-related issues, his expertise is in high demand. Indeed, by virtue of his know-how and standing within the insurance industry and broker/agent community, M&R’s Insurance Regulatory and Administrative Department is considered amongst the most reputable in the United States.
Mark has played an essential role in M&R’s success and growth. He is an active member of the firm’s Executive Committee; Conflicts, Ethics & Opinion Committee; and Diversity, Multiculturalism & Inclusion Committee. In addition, Mark is a regular contributor to industry publications (the Insurance Journal and Agenda, among others) and a frequent lecturer who has spoken to the American Agents Alliance, the Brokers Insurance Group, the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of California, and the California Insurance Wholesalers Association, to name a few.
Mark is committed to helping those in need. Toward that end, he serves on the Board of Directors of The Water Buffalo Club – a group that funds underserved children’s charities – and contributes to the Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation.
Mark earned a J.D. from the University of West Los Angeles, where he was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award in Evidence. Prior to that, Mark earned a B.A. in History from the University of California, Berkeley.
Awards & Recognitions
Each year from 2006 through 2017, Mark has been named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers.
- Insurance Brokerage Enforcement Action: The Department of Insurance searched an insurance brokerage without a warrant and then sought to revoke its license and issue a fine for minor administrative violations. Successfully represented brokerage at an administrative hearing, arguing that the search was a violation of the United States Constitution’s 4th Amendment protections. After an administrative law judge declared the search illegal, the Department unsuccessfully sought reversal in the superior court. The ALJ’s ruling was again upheld on appeal, forcing a change of the Department’s search procedures.
- Insurance Compliance: Provided comprehensive compliance review of leading HOA insurance brokerage. Reviewed all aspects of the brokerage’s operations including licensing, advertising/promotions, sales process, fee disclosures, trust accounting and operations.
- Insurance Investigation/Accusation: Represented insurance broker investigated for violations of insurance statutes and regulations. Limited the extent and duration of Department of Insurance’s investigation, and successfully negotiated a settlement of accusation to revoke broker’s license to a minor reimbursement of the Department’s investigation costs.
- Insurance Licensing: Assisted national insurance agency with complex licensing issues with the California Department of Insurance resulting from a double merger transaction. Coordinated licensing approval with the Department to coincide with the transaction closing.
- Insurance Premium Finance: Represented leading insurance premium financing company in obtaining licenses in California, Texas and Arizona. Drafted contracts between client and retail brokers and general agents.
- Insurance Program: Assisted national surplus lines insurance broker in the formation of an association and group property master policy program for commercial and industrial property insurance. Advised on regulatory issues concerning surplus lines compliance, fee disclosure requirements and compliance with insurance laws in numerous target states.
- February 5, 2016
- January 20, 2015
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJune 6, 2014
- June 2013
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of 2013 Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsMarch 11, 2013
- February 2, 2011
- Michelman & Robinson Closes Acquisition Transaction between Confie Seguros and Cost-U-Less InsuranceOctober 7, 2010
- The Fine Print: Wholesale and Retail Broker Contracts Must Spell Out Roles, Responsibilities and ExpectationsRisk & Insurance, July 18, 2016
- Daily Journal, February 26, 2015
- Daily Journal, December 4, 2012
- Press Release, February 2, 2011
- Michelman & Robinson Closes Acquisition Transaction between Confie Seguros and Cost-U-Less InsurancePress Release, October 7, 2010
- PropertyCasualty360, September 19, 2017
- Insurance Journal, May 15, 2017
- Law360, March 29, 2016
- Insurance Journal, April 6, 2015
- Insurance Journal, February 11, 2014
- Best's Review, June 2013
- Daily Journal, June 24, 2011
- American Agents' Alliance Alert, August 24, 2010
- Insurance Journal West Edition, July 2010
- Insurance Journal, January 6, 2009
- Insurance Journal West Edition, December 20, 2008
- Insurance Journal West Edition, October 20, 2008
- Insurance Journal West Edition, September 22, 2008
- Insurance Journal West Edition, August 20, 2008
Past Speaking Engagements
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Convention and ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 23, 2017
- Limits On Compensation Paid To Producers Selling Health Insurance Policies And Health Care Service Plans in California: an OverviewCalifornia Association of Health Underwriters (CAHU) Health Care RetreatSeptember 13, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsMay 2017
- California Wholesaler Industry DaysLa Jolla, CA, January 11, 2017
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 24, 2016
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of California (IIABCal) Insurance Law TrackWebinar, June 15, 2016
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 25, 2015
- California Insurance Wholesalers Association (CIWA) Summer ForumCarmel, CA, July 14, 2015
- California Insurance Wholesalers Association (CIWA) "Industry Days"La Jolla, CA, January 13, 2015
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Annual ConventionPalm Desert, CA, September 27, 2014
- American Agents AllianceNorthridge, CA, July 17, 2014
- American Agents Alliance Annual Convention and ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 27, 2013
- Brokers Insurance Group's (BIG) 4th Annual ConventionPomona, CA, April 25, 2013
- Pasadena, CA, November 14, 2012
- American Agents Alliance Annual Convention & ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 27, 2012
- Brokers Insurance Group's (B.I.G.) 3rd Annual ConventionRiverside Convention Center, Riverside, CA, May 4, 2012
- Real Estate Topics for Insurance BrokeragesLatin American Agents Association
- FAQ: Disclosing and Charging Broker Fees in California September 13, 2016
- Arizona Legislature Fixes Insurance Agent Liability Loophole June 2, 2016
- Covered California Approves New Agent Compensation Standards April 19, 2016
- How to Strengthen Your Agreements with Retail Producers March 24, 2016
- How is Big Data Impacting the Insurance Industry? July 20, 2015
- Alert: California Legislature Proposes AB 933 to Change DMV MVR Requirements March 4, 2015
- Mark Robinson Discusses the Issue of Insurance Company Liability to Third Parties January 13, 2015
- Mark Robinson Discusses Compliance Guidelines at the 2014 American Agents Alliance Convention & Expo September 27, 2014
- Disclosing Broker Fees to Ensure Full Compliance February 10, 2014
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- California Insurance Wholesaler Association (CIWA) 2018 California Wholesaler Industry DaysLa Jolla, CA, January 9, 2018
- California Wholesaler Industry DaysJanuary 11, 2017
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 24, 2016
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 25, 2015
- 2015 CIWA Summer Forum & Annual MeetingJuly 14, 2015
- 2015 California Wholesaler Industry DaysJanuary 13, 2015
- Mark Robinson Discusses Compliance Guidelines at the 2014 American Agents Alliance Convention & Expo2014 American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 27, 2014
- Insurance Regulatory 2013 Update Reducing E&O Exposure: The Importance of Documenting Insurance Plan RecommendationsAmerican Agents Alliance Convention and ExpoSeptember 27, 2013