- American Agents Alliance (AAA)
- California Insurance Wholesalers Association (CIWA)
- Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of California (IIABCal)
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCIAA)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation
Water Buffalo Club (Board of Directors)
University of West Los Angeles, J.D.
University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
Mark B. Robinson
Mark Robinson, M&R’s co-founder and leader of the firm's Regulatory Practice Group, is an insurance industry specialist who primarily represents retail brokers and agents in all aspects of their businesses. A recognized authority on regulatory issues that impact his client base, Mark’s multistate practice runs the gamut from complex mergers and acquisitions of brokerages to compliance matters, and most everything in between.
In addition to brokers and agents, Mark is also counsel for several insurance premium financing companies in connection with their business operations. Likewise, his advice is increasingly sought after by tech companies pushing to infiltrate – and disrupt – the insurance industry with innovative applications and systems to offer policies.
No matter the client, Mark’s deep understanding of regulatory laws and industry norms and relationships within various Departments of Insurance make him a go-to attorney in a wide range of matters (both domestic and international). Be it the formation of insurance brokerages, the purchase and sale of agencies, licensing, compliance, DOI investigations, market conduct examinations, the creation of producer agreements, or employment-related issues, his expertise is in high demand. Indeed, by virtue of his know-how and standing within the insurance industry and broker/agent community, M&R’s Insurance Regulatory and Administrative Department is considered amongst the most reputable in the United States.
Mark has played an essential role in M&R’s success and growth. He is an active member of the firm’s Executive Committee; and Diversity, Multiculturalism & Inclusion Committee. In addition, Mark is a regular contributor to industry publications (the Insurance Journal and Agenda, among others) and a frequent lecturer who has spoken to the American Agents Alliance, the Brokers Insurance Group, the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of California, and the California Insurance Wholesalers Association, to name a few.
Mark is committed to helping those in need. Toward that end, he serves on the Board of Directors of The Water Buffalo Club – a group that funds underserved children’s charities – and contributes to the Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation.
Awards & Recognitions
Each year from 2006 through 2020, Mark has been named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers.
Insurance Brokerage Enforcement Action: The Department of Insurance searched an insurance brokerage without a warrant and then sought to revoke its license and issue a fine for minor administrative violations. Successfully represented brokerage at an administrative hearing, arguing that the search was a violation of the United States Constitution’s 4th Amendment protections. After an administrative law judge declared the search illegal, the Department unsuccessfully sought reversal in the superior court. The ALJ’s ruling was again upheld on appeal, forcing a change of the Department’s search procedures.
Insurance Compliance: Provided comprehensive compliance review of leading HOA insurance brokerage. Reviewed all aspects of the brokerage’s operations including licensing, advertising/promotions, sales process, fee disclosures, trust accounting and operations.
Insurance Investigation/Accusation: Represented insurance broker investigated for violations of insurance statutes and regulations. Limited the extent and duration of Department of Insurance’s investigation, and successfully negotiated a settlement of accusation to revoke broker’s license to a minor reimbursement of the Department’s investigation costs.
Insurance Licensing: Assisted national insurance agency with complex licensing issues with the California Department of Insurance resulting from a double merger transaction. Coordinated licensing approval with the Department to coincide with the transaction closing.
Insurance Premium Finance: Represented leading insurance premium financing company in obtaining licenses in California, Texas and Arizona. Drafted contracts between client and retail brokers and general agents.
Insurance Program: Assisted national surplus lines insurance broker in the formation of an association and group property master policy program for commercial and industrial property insurance. Advised on regulatory issues concerning surplus lines compliance, fee disclosure requirements and compliance with insurance laws in numerous target states.
- Vanguard Magazine, August 26, 2019
- After 20 years, Michelman & Robinson has expanded its areas of focus as well as its size.Daily Journal, June 5, 2019
- The Fine Print: Wholesale and Retail Broker Contracts Must Spell Out Roles, Responsibilities and ExpectationsRisk & Insurance, July 18, 2016
- Insurance Journal, June 7, 2021
- Admitted vs. Non-Admitted Carriers: What Insurance Agents and Brokers (and Their Clients) Need to KnowAmerican Agents Alliance Newsletter, September 2, 2020
- Insurance Journal, January 27, 2020
- Insurance Journal, October 7, 2019
- Insurance Journal, May 10, 2019
- Insurance Journal, May 6, 2019
- PropertyCasualty360, August 31, 2018
- PropertyCasualty360, March 20, 2018
- PropertyCasualty360, September 19, 2017
- Insurance Journal, May 15, 2017
- Law360, March 29, 2016
Past Speaking Engagements
- May 14, 2020
- California Consumer Privacy Act Update: What This Sweeping New Law Requires & Why Broker-Agents Shouldn't Be Fooled By So-Called Insurance Industry "Exemption"2020 IIABCal LeadUp LearnUp Virtual ConferenceSacramento, CA, March 31, 2020
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Convention & ExpoSeptember 28, 2019
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Convention & ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 22, 2018
- Finding Problems Before the Bad Guys: A Legal and Technical Discussion on Penetration Testing and Managed Security ServicesProperty Casualty Association of America (PCI) 29th Annual Western Region General Counsel SeminarSan Diego, CA, July 26, 2018
- California Insurance Wholesaler Association (CIWA) 2018 California Wholesaler Industry DaysLa Jolla, CA, January 9, 2018
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Convention and ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 23, 2017
- Limits On Compensation Paid To Producers Selling Health Insurance Policies And Health Care Service Plans in California: an OverviewCalifornia Association of Health Underwriters (CAHU) Health Care RetreatSeptember 13, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsMay 2017
- California Wholesaler Industry DaysLa Jolla, CA, January 11, 2017
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 24, 2016
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of California (IIABCal) Insurance Law TrackWebinar, June 15, 2016
- California Court Upholds Insurance Commissioner’s Order to Expand FAIR Plan Coverage July 27, 2021
- New Yorkers Ordered to Stay at Home Even Longer Amid the COVID-19 Crisis April 16, 2020
- Safer at Home Order in L.A. Extended to May 15 April 10, 2020
- Congress Is Poised to Pass a Historic Stimulus Package in Response to the Coronavirus March 25, 2020
- SBA Loans for Companies Impacted by Coronavirus March 24, 2020
- Navigating the Coronavirus Pandemic: A Critical Business Review Checklist March 24, 2020
- The Number of Jurisdictions Implementing Stay-at-Home Orders Is Increasing Exponentially March 23, 2020
- An Important Message From Michelman & Robinson About California Governor's Statewide Stay-At-Home Order March 19, 2020
- M&R Deciphers the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Just Passed by the Senate and Signed Into Law by the President March 18, 2020
- A Message From Michelman & Robinson About "Shelter in Place" Orders March 18, 2020
- Attention Agents: Fees Charged May Be Unlawful May 15, 2019
- FAQ: Disclosing and Charging Broker Fees in California September 13, 2016
- Arizona Legislature Fixes Insurance Agent Liability Loophole June 2, 2016
- Covered California Approves New Agent Compensation Standards April 19, 2016
- How to Strengthen Your Agreements with Retail Producers March 24, 2016
- California Wholesaler Industry DaysJanuary 11, 2017
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 24, 2016
- American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 25, 2015
- 2015 CIWA Summer Forum & Annual MeetingJuly 14, 2015
- 2015 California Wholesaler Industry DaysJanuary 13, 2015
- Mark Robinson Discusses Compliance Guidelines at the 2014 American Agents Alliance Convention & Expo2014 American Agents Alliance Convention & ExpoSeptember 27, 2014
- Insurance Regulatory 2013 Update Reducing E&O Exposure: The Importance of Documenting Insurance Plan RecommendationsAmerican Agents Alliance Convention and ExpoSeptember 27, 2013