- Digital Place-Based Advertising Association (Privacy Committee, Co-Chair)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
Los Angeles Bar Association
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
I Have a Dream Foundation Los Angeles (Board Chair)
Guardians of the Jewish Home for the Aging
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.
Ronald R. Camhi
Ronald Camhi is Managing Partner of M&R’s Los Angeles office and Chair of the firm’s dynamic Advertising & Digital Media Industry Group. He represents some of the nation's largest marketers, advertising and media buying agencies, digital media companies, and advertising and media consultancy businesses. In that capacity, Mr. Camhi advises these and other industry clients in virtually every aspect of their operations.
Whether drafting and negotiating agreements between advertisers, agencies, and search and analytics companies, navigating complex merger and acquisition deals, safeguarding clients’ intellectual property rights, advocating before regulatory boards, or overseeing civil litigation, Mr. Camhi’s counsel is highly sought after. So is his guidance on mobile marketing, false advertising claims, advertising substantiation, and online privacy and trade secret misappropriation issues.
In addition to his advertising and digital media expertise, Mr. Camhi is also a renowned real estate transactional attorney, who routinely helps business and real estate clients through all stages of multi-million dollar sales and acquisition transactions, financing deals, and commercial leasing matters. Many have availed themselves of his particular sub-specialty in mezzanine financing, loan workouts, and complex equity and debt investment structures.
Beyond his duties as Managing Partner, Mr. Camhi is Chair of M&R’s Conflicts, Ethics and Opinion Committee and is a member of the firm’s Executive and Recruiting Committees.
Mr. Camhi proudly worked for U.S. Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum in Washington, D.C., and assisted on numerous matters for the Senate Judiciary and Labor Committees, including judicial confirmation hearings and the McCarran Ferguson Act.
Mr. Camhi earned a J.D. from Southwestern University School of Law, and, prior to that, a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles. During law school, he was nominated to the Board of Governors of the Moot Court Honors Program, was the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Criminal Procedure, and was awarded numerous scholarships based upon his academic achievement.
Awards & Recognitions
When M&R's Advertising & Digital Media Industry Group was “Recommended" by The Legal 500 in 2018, Mr. Camhi was specifically identified by the esteemed directory. He has also been consistently named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers (most recently in 2017). In addition, Mr. Camhi has been mentioned in Marqis’ “Who’s Who in Jurisprudence,” and in 2014, the San Fernando Valley Business Journal selected him as a “Most Trusted Advisor.” That same year, Mr. Camhi was chosen as one of the “Most Influential Lawyers in Digital Media & e-Commerce Law” by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
Acquisitions and Sales: Counseled a large strategic advisory media firm in its recent $207 million sale to an international business-to-business media company.
Agency Liability: Successfully defended a worldwide media buying agency in a precedent-setting matter related to “sequential liability,” by which agencies are only liable for payment to third parties once they receive prior payment from advertisers.
Digital Media: Counseled well-known multi-channel network in regards to its agreements with endorsers and the implication of endorsement guidelines put forth by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Direct Response Marketing: Negotiated all aspects of an agreement on behalf of a direct response marketing agency – including talks with talent, marketer and media outlets – in connection with one of the longest running and highest grossing long-form infomercials.
Financing, Production and Distribution Agreements: Secured rights to film projects for producers and production companies and provided counsel relative to requisite financing, production, and distribution agreements.
Games, Contests and Sweepstakes: Counseled promotions company on the legal framework of an international sweepstakes, including its online component and issues of activity that potentially were “inherently dangerous.”
International Media Service Agreements: As local counsel for international law firms, negotiated and drafted global media service agreements for multinational mass media corporation.
Illegal Lottery: Negotiated with state attorney general to resolve “illegal lottery” claim.
License Agreements: Devised structure and created nationwide licensing agreements between building owners, media companies, and advertisers relative to first-ever, large format super-graphics, which wrapped entire sides of buildings, including sites in Los Angeles and NYC, and required the quelling of political and public outcry.
Licensing and Business Contracts: Negotiated licensing and business contracts for a popular graphic novel artist whose work is streamed online and is presented in groundbreaking 3-D technology.
Loan Restructurings and Foreclosures: Represented lenders and borrowers in loan restructurings, foreclosures, and deed-in-lieu transactions.
Media Service Agreements: Drafted comprehensive media service agreements incorporating industry policy as determined by the American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA) and Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), which contracts are frequently used as templates in the industry.
Mobile Marketing: Advised on intellectual property and media issues surrounding initial viewer “opt-in requirements” related to audience participation through Short Message Service (SMS) and other mobile marketing techniques.
Mobile Phone Music and Video Sponsorship: Represented globally recognized music photographer and production company in mobile phone music and video sponsorship integration concept.
Privacy: Advised marketer regarding HIPAA and “opt-in” requirements related to online commerce and associated marketing campaign.
Product Integration Agreement: Drafted successful product integration agreement between a Detroit automaker, a mobile phone company, and a multi-channel network for branded content-related programs.
Sale Leasebacks and Option Agreements: Represented multiple clients in sale/leaseback transactions, including the creation of option agreements.
Sponsorship Agreements: Negotiated sponsorship agreements for national advertisers in airports, theme parks, and event venues, including large scale deals for the New York Marathon and other high profile entertainment projects.
Substantiation Claims: Successfully represented a direct marketing agency in connection with false and unsubstantiated health claims in the dietary supplement market. Resolved claims brought by the FTC and NAD, completely exonerating client.
Traditional Media: Represented direct response marketing agency in casting of spokesperson in highly rated, long-form infomercial in the fitness industry. Negotiation included issues of profit participation, benefits, and complex remuneration arrangements.
- May 30, 2018
- February 5, 2016
- January 20, 2015
- August 25, 2014
- Ron Camhi and Andrew Selesnick Nominated for 2014 Trusted Advisor Award by San Fernando Valley Business JournalAugust 11, 2014
- Ron Camhi Named One of Most Influential Lawyers in Digital Media & e-Commerce Law by Los Angeles Business JournalJuly 22, 2014
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJune 6, 2014
- September 2013
- August 7, 2013
- February 5, 2013
- August 24, 2011
- It's Official, Michelman & Robinson Creates Full Service Advertising, Marketing and Media Practice DepartmentMarch 7, 2011
- November 20, 2008
- Digiday, May 30, 2018
- Billboard Insider, November 9, 2017
- Adweek, August 7, 2017
- Law360, March 31, 2017
- Daily Journal, March 23, 2017
- MediaLink’s Founder Taps its Long-Time Advisor Michelman & Robinson, LLP in its Sale to Ascential plcPress Release, March 22, 2017
- Legal NewsLine, May 13, 2016
- Daily DOOH , May 6, 2016
- Allvoices.com, April 27, 2015
- Law360, April 22, 2015
- Daily Journal, March 4, 2015
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, August 25, 2014
- Los Angeles Business Journal, July 21, 2014
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, April 21, 2014
- Daily Journal, October 1, 2013
- Thomson Reuters Legal Current, February 28, 2013
- Daily Journal, February 8, 2013
- The Recorder, February 8, 2013
- Press Release, February 5, 2013
- Law360, September 21, 2012
- Law.com, May 22, 2012
- Law360, May 18, 2012
- Reuters, May 16, 2012
- Law360, August 24, 2011
- E-Commerce Times, June 9, 2011
- TechNewsWorld, March 31, 2011
- E-Commerce Times, March 18, 2011
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, March 14, 2011
- Its Official, Michelman & Robinson Creates Full Service Advertising, Marketing and Media Practice DepartmentPress Release, March 7, 2011
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, February 2, 2009
- Press Release, November 20, 2008
- Mobile Marketer, November 6, 2015
- Mobile Commerce Daily, November 6, 2015
- Daily Journal, January 29, 2015
- ThinkLA , December 11, 2014
- Western Real Estate Business, September 2013
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, February 7, 2012
- Agenda Magazine, March 2010
Past Speaking Engagements
- Digital Signage Expo 2018Las Vegas, NV, March 28, 2018
- Digital Place-based Advertising AssociationNew York, NY, June 16, 2016
- Digital Place-based Advertising Association (DPAA) Meeting, New York, NY, March 23, 2016
- Digital Place-Based Advertising Association Video Everywhere SummitNew York, NY, November 3, 2015
- The Knowledge GroupWebinar, September 4, 2015
- Silicon Beach Fest 2015Marina Del Rey, CA, June 25, 2015
- ad:tech San FranciscoSan Francisco, CA, May 20, 2015
- The Knowledge Group, LLCWebinar, June 27, 2014
- FCC Approves New Privacy Rules for Broadband Providers November 16, 2016
- Coalition of Ad Industry Orgs Asks for More Time to Review FCC Privacy Proposal April 25, 2016
- Advertising Industry Asks for More Time to Weigh in on Controversial FCC Proposal April 15, 2016
- Divisive Broadband Privacy Proposal Clears Key Hurdle April 4, 2016
- FCC Proposes New Privacy Rules for Internet Service Providers March 14, 2016
- Foisting Patent Assertion Entity Indemnity Risk on Agencies Ignores Economic Realities December 9, 2014
- Ron Camhi Delivers Advertising Law Update Webinar for The Knowledge Group June 26, 2014
- Subordination Agreement Risks: Although a Standard Document, Due Diligence is Required September 30, 2013