- Digital Place-Based Advertising Assoc. (Privacy Committee, Co-Chair)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
Los Angeles Bar Association
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
I Have a Dream Foundation Los Angeles (Board Chair)
Guardians of the Jewish Home for the Aging
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.
Ronald R. Camhi
Ronald Camhi is the Managing Partner of Michelman & Robinson, LLP’s (M&R’s) Los Angeles office. Mr. Camhi is an established corporate attorney who has represented some of the nation's largest advertising and media buying agencies, direct response and digital media companies, and advertising and media consultancy businesses. He Chairs the Advertising & Digital Media Industry Group, managing teams of attorneys in providing counsel for virtually all of his clients’ legal needs—from prosecuting and defending client rights in litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute forums to corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Camhi is routinely called on to navigate his clients through the evolving advertising legal landscape, including drafting and negotiating industry agreements. He represents marketers and agencies in many aspects of their business including mobile marketing, fulfillment house contracts, false advertising claims, revenue sharing agreements and advertising substantiation, litigating when necessary. He advises on complex online privacy issues interpreting the patchwork of privacy laws at the federal, state and local level. He is frequently called upon to provide counsel on business disputes including trade secret misappropriation claims.
Mr. Camhi guides business and real estate clients through all stages of multi-million dollar sales and acquisitions, financing and refinancing, and commercial leasing matters. He has particular expertise in structured finance, mezzanine financing and complex equity and debt investment structures. He regularly negotiates a broad range of business and commercial transactions including purchase and sale transactions, secured transactions and personal property leases. Further, he routinely advises clients on loan workouts and restructurings.
Mr. Camhi is Chair of M&R’s Conflicts, Ethics and Opinion Committee and is a member of the Firm’s Executive and Recruiting Committees.
Mr. Camhi worked for U.S. Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum in Washington, D.C., and assisted on numerous matters for the Senate Judiciary and Labor Committees, including judicial confirmation hearings and the McCarran Ferguson Act.
Mr. Camhi earned his J.D. from Southwestern University School of Law, and his B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles. During law school, he was nominated to the Board of Governors of the Moot Court Honors Program. He was also the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Criminal Procedure and received numerous scholarships.
Awards & Recognitions
Mr. Camhi is consistently named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers (most recently in 2017), and mentioned in Marqis’ “Who’s Who in Jurisprudence.” Mr. Camhi was selected as a "Most Trusted Advisor" by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal in 2014, after receiving a nomination in 2013. In 2014, he was selected as one of the “Most Influential Lawyers in Digital Media & e-Commerce Law” by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
- Acquisitions and Sales: Oversaw purchase and sale of several industrial properties in California and Nevada through reverse 1031 exchange transactions.
- Agency Liability: Successfully defended a worldwide media buying agency in a precedent-setting matter relating to the liability of media buying agencies to media outlets, in support of the American Association of Advertising Agencies’ position on “sequential liability.” This directive holds that agencies are only liable for payment to third parties if they have already received payment from advertisers. We have successfully advanced these legal theories in bankruptcy courts and other venues across the country.
- Commercial Leasing: Currently represents both landlords and tenants in office and industrial leasing matters.
- Digital Media: Counseled well-known multi-channel network relative to its agreements with endorsers and the implication of the endorsement guidelines put forth by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Direct Response Marketing: Negotiated all aspects of an agreement on behalf of a direct response marketing agency in one of the longest running and highest grossing long-form (“infomercial”) agreements, including negotiating with talent, marketer and media outlets.
- Financing, Production and Distribution Agreements: Represented film producers and production companies in securing rights to film projects and necessary financing, production and distribution agreements.
- Games, Contests and Sweepstakes: Counseled promotions company on the legal framework of international sweepstakes, including online component and potentially “inherently dangerous activity.”
- Guaranty and Alter Ego: Successfully represented large, state-wide developer on guaranty and alter-ego claims based on “sham guaranty” doctrine.
- Illegal Lottery: Negotiated with state attorney general and resolved claim based on “illegal lottery” and lack of “second chance drawing” issues.
- License Agreements: Devised the structure and created license agreements between building owners, media companies and advertisers for largest building wraps and supergraphics throughout the country.
- Licensing and Business Contracts: Negotiated licensing and business contracts for a popular graphic novel artist whose work appeared streaming online and in groundbreaking new 3-D technology.
- Loan Restructurings and Foreclosures: Represented lenders and borrowers in loan restructurings, foreclosures and deed-in-lieu transactions.
- Media Service Agreements: Drafted comprehensive media service agreements incorporating industry policy as determined by such associations as the American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA) and the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), that are frequently used as templates in the industry.
- Mobile Marketing: Advised on intellectual property and media issues surrounding initial viewer “opt-in requirements” relating to audience participation through Short Message Service (SMS) and other mobile marketing techniques.
- Mobile Phone Music and Video Sponsorship: Represented globally-recognized music photographer and production company in mobile phone music and video sponsorship integration concept.
- Outdoor Advertising: Spearheaded the business and legal aspects of the first large supergraphics that wrapped entire sides of buildings, including those on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles and in Manhattan. This included resolving issues with many constituent groups around the country and quelling political and public outcry.
- Privacy: Advised marketer regarding HIPAA and “opt-in” requirements relating to online store and associated marketing campaign.
- Product Integration Agreement: Drafted successful product integration agreement between Detroit automaker, a mobile phone company and a multi-channel network for branded content-related programs.
- Sale Leasebacks and Option Agreements: Frequently represents clients in sale leaseback transactions and assists parties in designing option agreements.
- Sponsorship Agreements: Negotiated sponsorship agreements for national advertisers in airports, theme parks and event venues. Represented internationally-recognized entertainment and branding company in numerous large-scale sponsorship deals for the New York Marathon and high profile entertainment projects.
- Substantiation Claims: Successfully represented a direct marketing agency relating to false and unsubstantiated health claims in the dietary supplement market, including settling claims brought by the FTC and NAD. Resolved the case with the total exoneration of client.
- Traditional Media: Represented direct response marketing agency in placement of spokesperson in highly rated long form infomercial in the fitness industry including negotiating profit participation, benefits and complex remuneration arrangements.
- February 5, 2016
- January 20, 2015
- August 25, 2014
- Ron Camhi and Andrew Selesnick Nominated for 2014 Trusted Advisor Award by San Fernando Valley Business JournalAugust 11, 2014
- Ron Camhi Named One of Most Influential Lawyers in Digital Media & e-Commerce Law by Los Angeles Business JournalJuly 22, 2014
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJune 6, 2014
- September 2013
- August 7, 2013
- February 5, 2013
- August 24, 2011
- It's Official, Michelman & Robinson Creates Full Service Advertising, Marketing and Media Practice DepartmentMarch 7, 2011
- November 20, 2008
- Law360, March 31, 2017
- Daily Journal, March 23, 2017
- MediaLink’s Founder Taps its Long-Time Advisor Michelman & Robinson, LLP in its Sale to Ascential plcPress Release, March 22, 2017
- Legal NewsLine, May 13, 2016
- Daily DOOH , May 6, 2016
- Allvoices.com, April 27, 2015
- Law360, April 22, 2015
- Daily Journal, March 4, 2015
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, August 25, 2014
- Los Angeles Business Journal, July 21, 2014
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, April 21, 2014
- Daily Journal, October 1, 2013
- Thomson Reuters Legal Current, February 28, 2013
- Daily Journal, February 8, 2013
- The Recorder, February 8, 2013
- Press Release, February 5, 2013
- Law360, September 21, 2012
- Law.com, May 22, 2012
- Law360, May 18, 2012
- Reuters, May 16, 2012
- Law360, August 24, 2011
- E-Commerce Times, June 9, 2011
- TechNewsWorld, March 31, 2011
- E-Commerce Times, March 18, 2011
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, March 14, 2011
- Its Official, Michelman & Robinson Creates Full Service Advertising, Marketing and Media Practice DepartmentPress Release, March 7, 2011
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, February 2, 2009
- Press Release, November 20, 2008
- Mobile Marketer, November 6, 2015
- Mobile Commerce Daily, November 6, 2015
- Daily Journal, January 29, 2015
- ThinkLA , December 11, 2014
- Western Real Estate Business, September 2013
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, February 7, 2012
- Agenda Magazine, March 2010
Past Speaking Engagements
- Digital Place-based Advertising AssociationNew York, NY, June 16, 2016
- Digital Place-based Advertising Association (DPAA) Meeting, New York, NY, March 23, 2016
- Digital Place-Based Advertising Association Video Everywhere SummitNew York, NY, November 3, 2015
- The Knowledge GroupWebinar, September 4, 2015
- Silicon Beach Fest 2015Marina Del Rey, CA, June 25, 2015
- ad:tech San FranciscoSan Francisco, CA, May 20, 2015
- The Knowledge Group, LLCWebinar, June 27, 2014
- FCC Approves New Privacy Rules for Broadband Providers November 16, 2016
- Coalition of Ad Industry Orgs Asks for More Time to Review FCC Privacy Proposal April 25, 2016
- Advertising Industry Asks for More Time to Weigh in on Controversial FCC Proposal April 15, 2016
- Divisive Broadband Privacy Proposal Clears Key Hurdle April 4, 2016
- FCC Proposes New Privacy Rules for Internet Service Providers March 14, 2016
- Foisting Patent Assertion Entity Indemnity Risk on Agencies Ignores Economic Realities December 9, 2014
- Ron Camhi Delivers Advertising Law Update Webinar for The Knowledge Group June 26, 2014
- Subordination Agreement Risks: Although a Standard Document, Due Diligence is Required September 30, 2013
- Silicon Beach FestJune 25, 2015
- 2015 ad:tech San FranciscoMay 20, 2015
- The Knowledge GroupJune 26, 2014