- Building Industry Association
- Risk Management Association Building
- Southern California Contractors Association
- The Associated General Contractors of America
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
Orange County Bar Association
Share Our Selves
Whittier Law School, J.D.
University of California at Irvine, Social Ecology, B.A.
Eric J. Rans
Eric J. Rans is a highly effective litigator, finding creative and practical solutions to meet his clients’ long-term business objectives.
He specializes in the banking and financial services, real estate and construction industries. Mr. Rans assists a wide range of clients with banking, finance, general corporate, and construction issues, and has in-depth industry expertise representing financial institutions, title insurance companies, equipment leasing companies, construction companies, real estate developers and contractors. He also counsels developers in real estate purchases, development contracts and post-construction litigation involving mechanics’ liens, stop notices, performance bonds and delay-related claims. Additionally, he actively pursues and places receiverships on substantial real and personal properties that secure clients’ loans.
Mr. Rans has performed extensive work for a number of high profile clients including numerous national and regional banks, regional developers and international motorcycle manufacturers.
Mr. Rans is a member of M&R's Marketing Committee.
Mr. Rans is involved in Share Our Selves, a nonprofit organization providing the highest quality comprehensive safety net services to homeless and low-income populations in Orange County. He dedicates his time to Project HOPE, an Orange County organization dedicated to ending family homelessness through increased educational opportunities and financial stability.
Mr. Rans received his J.D., cum laude, from Whittier Law School. He was conferred his B.A. in Social Ecology from the University of California, Irvine.
Breach of Guaranty: Mr. Rans sought recovery of money owed to one of California’s leading banks for breach of promissory note and breach of guaranty. The opposing side sought relief from these claims pursuant to various legal theories that would bar the lender’s relief, including a defense that the guaranty was a sham guaranty. Mr. Rans successfully represented the lender in overcoming and demonstrating the invalidity of each defense, and M&R prevailed on behalf of our client, obtaining an award in the amount of $23 million.
Construction Litigation: Mr. Rans regularly handles construction cases in state and federal courts on issues involving contract disputes, delays, and change order disputes, as well as matters dealing with mechanics liens, stop notices, bond claims and contractors state license board challenges. For multiple clients, he has defended and managed numerous cases with a total exposure over $40,000,000.00.
Debt Recovery: Mr. Rans first-chaired two substantial binding arbitrations, resulting in high dollar judgments. Mr. Rans worked closely with his clients to develop a litigation plan to best limit the clients’ exposure and litigation costs, while still proceeding in an aggressive and successful fashion to earn substantial judgments in favor of the lenders. The respective judgments included a $13 million and $17 million award in favor of a large California bank.
Easement and Property Line Defense: Mr. Rans defended a claim of easement made by an adjacent property owner that would have terminated an approved 400+ home development for an international home developer. Litigating the matter through trial, he successfully received a full defense verdict. Further, Mr. Rans successfully defended the appeal, and received over $500,000 in attorneys’ fees for his clients (which were collected within 3 months).
Purchases, Transfers of Real Property, Loan Workouts: Represented both lenders and private investors in negotiating purchases, transfers of real property and loan workouts on commercial properties that have been seized and sold by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
- Law360, February 3, 2015
- Law360, October 3, 2014
- Bloomberg News, April 30, 2014
- “Good" Bad Faith vs. "Bad" Bad Faith: Equitable Principles and the Doctrines of Adverse Possession and PrescriptionMiller & Starr Real Estate News Alert, January 28, 2014
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, February 8, 2013
- Michelman & Robinson Paves the Way: Firm Client Shadow Pines Can Now Proceed With Planned Residential DevelopmentBuilding Industry Association Newsroom, March 24, 2011
- Superior Court of the State of California County of Los AngelesPublished Decision, February 24, 2011
- Press Release, January 22, 2009
- California Constructor Magazine, May 2016
- Contractor Magazine, May 7, 2014
- What Depth of Responsibility Do Creditors and Lenders Have to Maintain the Value of Collateral in Their Possession?The Banking Law Journal, June 2013
- The Banking Law Journal, June 2011
- California’s Lemon Law and Recent Limitations on Plaintiffs’ Claims for Attorney’s Fees2009
Past Speaking Engagements
- Orange County Bar AssociationOrange County, CA, March 2, 2016
- Protecting the Crown Jewel: Understanding Your TSA and Tips for Handling Other Legal Challenges Faced by the IndustryCalifornia Tow Truck Association (CTTA) Western States Tow ShowSan Diego, CA, October 10, 2014
- Informal Educational PresentationOrange County, CA, July 31, 2013
- Orange County Bar AssociationOrange County, CA, February 6, 2013
- The Importance of Appointing a Compliance Officer When Signing a TSA October 10, 2014
- How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors State Licensing Board Investigations June 6, 2014
- What Depth of Responsibility Do Creditors and Lenders Have to Maintain the Value of Collateral in Their Possession? June 13, 2013
- Protecting The Crown Jewel: Understanding Your TSA and Tips for Handling Other Legal Challenges Faced by the IndustryCalifornia Tow Truck Association’s Western States Tow ShowOctober 10, 2014
- Darren Barker and Eric Rans Discuss "How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors' State Licensing Board Investigations"M&R BlogJune 6, 2014