The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is being felt across industries, and no sector seems to be entirely immune from its destructive forces, the insurance space included. In fact, the outbreak has placed some insurers on the hot seat in the wake of their handling of business interruption claims. Exhibit A: the growing number of federal class action lawsuits recently filed against insurance carriers by businesses alleging that their claims related to business closures mandated in the wake of the coronavirus were wrongfully denied.
By virtue of this litigation, along with the slew of business interruption claims now being filed, many liability and claims-related questions have arisen. Well, Michelman & Robinson has answers. In this webinar, M&R attorneys address the inquiries insurance companies and producers have regarding the many challenges—and opportunities—created by the current COVID-19 related crisis.
May 14, 2020 11 AM – 12 AM PT
Topics to be covered include:
- Recent class action filings against insurers regarding business interruption claims
- Managing insureds’ complaints (from an insurer and producer perspective)
- Producer and carrier obligations relating to investigation and handling of claims
- Business sector impact overview and the amounts at stake
- Arguments being advanced by insureds seeking coverage and insurance industry response
- Key coverage extensions and exclusions — point and counterpoint positions
- Mona Hanna
- Mark Robinson
- David Hauge
- Warren Koshofer
- Robert Berg