Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
New York University School of Law, JD and LLM (corporate law)
New York University, BS
Stephen Weiss is a partner in M&R’s Los Angeles office and the firm's Securities & Capital Markets Chair. He specializes in mergers and acquisitions, corporate and securities law and capital markets financing transactions, and works on behalf of both public and private large and middle-market companies, as well as development stage businesses, lending institutions and investment banks.
In terms of his years of M&A experience, Stephen has guided clients across industries—the aviation, education and cannabis spaces, among them—through the lifecycle of a range of transactions, including broad-based middle-market and complex cross-border deals. He is sought after for his work helping entities go public as well. Toward that end, Stephen advises clients in connection with every stage of the capital raising process. Likewise, he provides advice and counsel to issuers, underwriters and other financial institutions on equity and debt financings.
Regarding his portfolio of matters involving securities law, Stephen has successfully handled numerous initial public offerings (IPOs), follow-on offerings, rights offerings, securities exchange listings, private placements (including Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings), and PIPE offerings, among others. He and his team also ensure that his clients are in compliance with securities laws, securities exchange rules, and the corporate governance requirements of the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Dodd-Frank Act.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Acted as lead counsel in over 200 merger and acquisition transactions in his career, including the following:
- Represented Greenwich Air Services, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Batchelor Air, Inc., and three additional add-on acquisitions, including the $345M purchase by Greenwich Air Services of the jet engine overhaul services business of Aviall, Inc., and the $1.2 B dollar sale of Greenwich Air Services to General Electric Company;
- Represented Gulfstream Air, Inc., in connection with acquisitions and private financings;
- Represented Cardinal Wireline Services, Inc. in connection with its initial acquisition and three add-on acquisitions until its $110M sale to Superior Energy, Inc. (NYSE);
- Represented Fine Air, Inc., a Miami-based airline, in connection with acquisitions and joint ventures;
- Represented Wilcour Food Products, Inc. based in Los Angeles and the then-sole manufacturer of roast beef for Arby’s Food chain;
- Represented Gleason Corporation and its affiliate Technibilt Inc., one of the largest manufacturers of shopping carts;
- Represented DN Partners, LLC, a Chicago-based private equity fund in many of its acquisition transactions;
- Represent Boxlight Corporation (NASDAQ :BOXL), a leading provider of products and services to the educational industry, in all of its acquisition transactions;
- Represent Pride Media, Inc., a publication dedicated to the LGBT community, in all of its acquisition transactions;
- Represent Scion Capital LLC, an Atlanta-based private merchant bank, in its acquisition transactions; and
- Represent NSG Capital LLC, a Connecticut-based private merchant bank and family office, in all of its acquisition transactions.
Banking & Finance: Represented and currently represent investment banks and financial institutions, including:
Represent Paulson Investment Company LLC;
- Represented Fleet National Bank and its affiliate Fleet Credit Corporation in approximately ten separate financing transactions, until the bank was sold to Banc Boston;
- Represented Amev Capital Corp, a subsidiary of a Netherlands insurance company based in the U.S.;
- Represented Lehman Brothers in an IPO of H-Power, Inc.;
- Represented Cruttenden Roth, LLC (now Roth Capital) in over seven IPO’s; and
- Represented Burnham Securities, Inc. in financing transactions.
Initial Public Offerings: Represented Lehman Brothers, Inc., DH Blair & Co., and Cruttenden Roth LLC (now Roth Capital LLC), in connection with initial public offerings. Has also represented over 30 issuers of securities in IPOs, including;
- Greenwich Air Services Inc., then the worlds largest jet engine overhaul service company other than General Electric and Pratt & Whitney, in its $20M IPO and $150M follow on public offering;
- Top Jobs Plc, the UK’s leading online employment portal in its $20M IPO;
- GIT Mortgage Investors, a mortgage REIT in its IPO and follow-one public offering;
- Boxlight Corporation (NASDAQ: BOXL) in its $7M IPO;
- ZBB Energy, Inc. in its $20M IPO; and
- Hightimes Holding Corp. in its ongoing Regulation A+ IPO.
- Daily Journal, August 20, 2019
- High Times, September 30, 2019
- GameStop Mania May Trigger SEC Regulation June 14, 2021
- Corporate Risk Disclosures in the Wake of the 2020 Election February 27, 2021
- Read the Fine Print: Congress Imposes New Reporting Requirements Upon Certain U.S. Business Entities February 27, 2021