- Digital Placed-Based Advertising Association
- Promotion Marketing Association, Legal Affairs Committee
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of New York
American Bar Association, Consumer Protection Committee
American Bar Association, Vice Chair of Committee on Promotion & Marketing Law
New York State Bar Association
DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
The Ohio State University, B.S.
Adam Z. Solomon
Adam Z. Solomon is a partner in M&R's New York office, where he represents clients in all aspects of advertising, digital marketing, promotions and compliance. Mr. Solomon advises digital agencies and advertisers regarding transactions for online and interactive advertising, programmatic media buying, mobile marketing, affiliate marketing, lead generation, data collection and usage, and behavioral advertising. He also counsels clients on social media and emerging products and technologies. Mr. Solomon has substantial experience in negotiating and drafting complex online marketing, Internet and licensing agreements. He works closely with his clients on how to minimize the legal risks associated with online advertising and marketing.
He frequently counsels marketers and agencies on the structuring of sweepstakes, games and contests. Mr. Solomon routinely drafts official rules, reviews and advises on advertising copy, handles applicable state registrations and drafts winner affidavits and participant releases. He has extensive experience in the area of international promotions.
Mr. Solomon reviews advertising and promotional materials to help ensure compliance with substantiation requirements. Additionally, he carefully evaluates marketing campaigns and sales practices to ensure compliance with relevant state and federal law. He advises clients on developments in consumer protection laws and guidelines, and performs compliance reviews for companies involved in social media marketing, negative option marketing, telemarketing, direct mail solicitations, testimonials and endorsements, email marketing, and other marketing strategies.
Mr. Solomon regularly represents marketers in connection with federal and state regulatory inquiries, investigations, and actions. He both initiates, and defends, challenges to advertising claims before the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division (NAD). He also handles consumer and business litigation involving false and deceptive advertising issues, unfair competition, and intellectual property.
Mr. Solomon earned his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law, and received his B.S., in finance, from The Ohio State University.
Awards & Recognitions
Mr. Solomon has been selected as a Notable Practitioner by Chambers USA in the Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory section, where he has been hailed as “a ‘terrific...lawyer’ who advises on all areas of advertising, marketing, promotions and compliance law.” Clients further noted his "deep knowledge and understanding of all issues involved with advertising, including direct marketing, promotions marketing, sweepstakes and contest law. In addition, when M&R's Advertising & Digital Media Industry Group was “Recommended" by The Legal 500 in 2018, Mr. Solomon was specifically identified by the esteemed directory. He was also named for inclusion in the New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars list for 2013-2015.
Contest, Sweepstakes and Promotions: Represents many leading advertising, promotion and digital agencies in all aspects of contest, sweepstakes and promotions. Develops structure for promotions, draft rules and facilitates registration and bonding. Works on approximately 100 unique promotions annually.
Digital Media Holding Company: Represents leading digital media company in contract negotiation, business development and disputes with third parties.
Ecommerce: Represented online marketer to ensure proper disclosures were provided and billing consent was obtained.
Email Marketing: Represented online newsletter in creating email marketing compliance program.
FTC Defense Regarding Telemarketing Violations: Represented telemarketing service provider accused of making millions of deceptive calls to consumers.
FTC Defense Regarding Unauthorized Billing: Represented corporate and individual defendants in Operation Tele-PHONEY alleging deceptive telemarketing and unauthorized billing.
FTC Defense Regarding Unsubstantiated Claims: Represented marketer whose weight loss claims were challenged by the FTC as false and unsubstantiated.
International Promotion Compliance: Coordinates with an extensive network of foreign attorneys to ensure promotions comply with local laws and regulations. Worked on a contest for an internationally recognized singer that involved coordinating legal counsel in 12 international markets.
Marketing Practices: Represented Fortune 100 company to ensure marketing and business practices for its retail stores comply with federal and state laws.
Programmatic Marketer: Represented programmatic marketing place that connected buyer and sellers and digital media.
Social Media: Represented numerous companies in structuring multi-platform social media campaigns to promote their products. As part of these projects, drafted social media policies and advised on how to comply with relevant FTC regulations.
Sponsorship Agreement: Represented global fashion company in sponsorship agreement with major financial institution.
State Attorney General Defense: Represent marketers in response to investigations and actions brought by Attorneys General. Specifically defended an Internet service provider, in connection with “Operation Clean Turf” which was a high-profile investigation brought by the New York Attorney General.
TCPA Compliance: Provided advice to advertiser on how to obtain consent to comply with TCPA’s requirement.
- May 30, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP is pleased to announce that five New York attorneys have been selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers® for 2015August 18, 2015
- Michelman & Robinson is pleased to announce that seasoned Advertising & Digital Media attorney has joined the firmMay 27, 2015
- Digiday, April 16, 2018
- MarTech Today, September 14, 2017
- Campaign US, April 21, 2017
- Native Insider, March 15, 2017
- Legal NewsLine, August 19, 2016
- FTC Sends 'Strong Message' Over Native Ads, Paid Promotions on Social Media with Lord & Taylor settlementLegalNewsline, April 18, 2016
- MarketWatch, January 25, 2016
- Target Marketing, November 3, 2016
- DRMA, August 9, 2016
- Inside Counsel, March 12, 2015
- Inside Counsel, February 3, 2015
- Inside Counsel, November 25, 2014
- Inside Counsel, October 14, 2014
- Inside Counsel, September 30, 2014
Past Speaking Engagements
- NY NOWNew York, NY, February 5, 2018
- Juvenile Product Manufacturers AssociationWebinar, November 29, 2017
- 2017 ANA/BAA Marketing Law ConferenceChicago, IL, November 14, 2017
- ANA/BAA Marketing Law ConferenceChicago, IL, November 11, 2016
- Association of National Advertisers BAA's Marketing Law ConferenceChicago, IL, November 11, 2015
- Brand Activation Association Law ConferenceChicago, IL, November 11, 2015
- Sweepstakes, Promotions & Marketing Laws: Comprehension & Compliance In A Digital/Mobile EnvironmentCity Bar Center for CLEMay 15, 2015
- 36th Annual BAA/PMA Marketing Law Conference; Navigating the Marketing MazeNovember 7, 2014
- Costco Takes Its Coffee with Cream and a Civil Penalty March 26, 2018
- Advertising Agencies Beware: Your Clients Aren’t The Only Ones On The Hook For FTC Violations February 14, 2018
- The Ultimate Trade-Off Now Being Offered by Verizon September 18, 2017
- FCC Approves New Privacy Rules for Broadband Providers November 16, 2016
- Washington AG Settles with Makeup Company Over Marketing Practices September 8, 2016
- NY Attorney General Tightens the Screws on Direct Marketing Industry July 25, 2016
- Warner Bros. Settles FTC Charges It Failed to Adequately Disclose Payments to Online Influencers July 13, 2016
- Julia Child Foundation Sues Airbnb for Using Her Name Without Permission June 27, 2016
- Mobile Advertising Company Settles FTC Charges It Tracked Consumers’ Locations Without Permission June 23, 2016
- National Retailer Settles FTC Charges It Deceived Consumers Through Paid Instagram Posts by “Fashion Influencers” March 16, 2016
- California AG Settles with Houzz Regarding Recording of Calls November 6, 2015
- FCC Brings “Contest Rule” into 21st Century with Update September 29, 2015
- AGs Reach $1 Million Settlement With Online Marketer of Pimsleur Language Courses September 3, 2015
- FDA is “Keeping up with the Kardashians’” Social Media Posts August 12, 2015
- Provisions in Contest Rules are Held Enforceable August 6, 2015
- Unlimited Means Unlimited: FCC “Throttles” AT&T Mobility for $100M June 18, 2015
- Crowdfunding Project Creator Settles FTC Charges of Deception June 11, 2015
- Ironman Promotion Gets ‘Bonked’ June 3, 2015