David F. Hauge
Regulatory & Administrative Law
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Illinois
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Illinois Insurance Information Service (Legislative Committee)
- Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
- National Association of Independent Insurers (Law Committee)
- National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices
- Society of Financial Examiners
- California Bar Association (Insurance Law Committee)
- Children’s Hunger Fund (Past Chairman of the Board)
- Off the Front
- Spirit of Women Fresno
- University of Tulsa School of Law, J.D.
- San Diego State University, B.A.
David Hauge is a partner in M&R’s Los Angeles office and member of the firm’s Regulatory Practice Group. He is an insurance regulatory law specialist, and brings to his insurance company, broker and agent clientele more than three decades of industry know-how.
Before entering private practice, David was general counsel and then Vice President, Commercial Lines, for a major insurer. The operational experience afforded by these positions enables him to advise clients in a way that sets David apart from his peers. Indeed, by virtue of his first-hand understanding of the insurance business – from ratemaking and claims to production and underwriting – David applies a solution-based approach to insurance-related legal issues that is pragmatic, decidedly focused on clients’ operational concerns and cost-effective.
David frequently provides advice in connection with insurance regulatory and compliance matters, the defense of unfair business practice and class action lawsuits (typically alleging excessive premiums), market conduct and financial examinations, rate filings and broker/agent licensing. Regarding the latter categories, his familiarity interacting and negotiating with any number of Departments of Insurance and fluency in the administrative process have proven to be an invaluable asset for many clients. In addition, David handles complex insurance company and brokerage mergers and acquisitions, reinsurance arbitrations and mediations as well as a litigation involving policies of business owners’ liability, workers compensation and surplus lines insurance.
A veteran expert witness, arbitrator and mediator himself, David has also served as outside general counsel for several insurers.