- California State Board of Contractors
- Southern California Contractor’s Association
- Associated General Contractors of California (Legal Advisory Committee)
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- United States District Court
Orange County Bar Association
Assistance League of Santa Ana
Tustin Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off
Cal Poly SLO Alumni Association
Western State University College of Law, J.D.
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, B.A
T. Darren Barker
T. Darren Barker is a defense attorney with in-depth industry expertise in both private and public construction projects. He regularly handles construction matters involving owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and manufacturers. Mr. Barker frequently represents design professionals, architects, landscape architects, engineers and surveyors.
Having owned his own contracting firm prior to practicing law, Mr. Barker possesses first-hand insight into the complexities of the industry. He has been involved in every aspect of construction litigation, and consistently helps his clients achieve their legal and business objectives. He has served as corporate counsel for several of Southern California’s most sought after contractors, leading their contract negotiations with both public and private entities. He has extensive experience representing contractors in the manufacturing and distribution industry on matters of product liability, personal injury defense and product failures.
Mr. Barker is a member of M&R’s Conflicts, Ethics & Opinion Committee.
Prior to joining M&R, Mr. Barker was the co-owner of Barker & Barker Plastering, Inc.
Mr. Barker earned his J.D., with honors, from Western State University College of Law, where he was an editor on Law Review and wrote an article on eminent domain for the Western State University Law Journal. During law school, he served as a judicial clerk for Presiding Justice David Sills at the California Court of Appeal. He received his B.A. in History from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
Awards & Recognitions
For both 2016 and 2017, Mr. Barker was named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers.
- Construction Defects: We were presented with a unique construction claim involving a luxury residential tower in Los Angeles, California. Implementing a unique defense strategy, we negotiated a $24 million construction defect claim down to $7.1 million on behalf of our client. Through litigation, we secured a positive defense resolution on behalf of our builder client and, in turn, were successful in satisfying the settlement through the participation of several key subcontractors.
- Design & Construction Management: An architect came to Mr. Barker with a complex issue involving the design of a hospital in Southern California. The issue involved several design and construction management issues which were arguably the responsibility of the design professional. The alleged damages were valued at approximately $10 million. Through a unique defense strategy, we were able to deflect all responsibility for the alleged construction management issues, and negotiate a dismissal for a waiver of costs.
- Design Professionals: Through his construction practice, Mr. Barker has had the opportunity to represent a myriad of California licensed design professionals. Many of these actions have involved the design of multi-million dollar private and public works projects. Utilizing aggressive defense tactics, we have had success in securing several favorable case resolutions, protecting our clients from potential State Licensing Board reprisals.
- Product Liability & Personal Injury Defense: Successful in negotiating a complete settlement for our client, Diamond Glass, in a product liability and personal injury lawsuit concerning laceration injuries sustained by a 14-year old minor when a shower door shattered.
- Specialty Construction Defect Defense: Negotiated a $1.5 million dollar settlement for a concrete surfacing subcontractor when a major commercial Southern California airport authority sought over $9.6 million in damages for surface deterioration to hanger floors allegedly caused by faulty concrete.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated a $5 million claim for a retaining wall and waterproofing subcontractor in a construction defect lawsuit surrounding water intrusion at a 35,000 square foot, single-family detached residence on 1.9 acres of property in Orange County, California.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated reasonable and advantageous settlements for a subcontractor in over 90 cases concerning alleged sheet metal defects in residential construction tracts in Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. Only two cases went to trial.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated reasonable settlements for a subcontractor in over 30 cases concerning alleged roofing defects in commercial and residential construction projects throughout Northern and Southern California.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated reasonable settlements in many of the 50 cases brought against a subcontractor for alleged stucco and lathing defects in residential construction tracts in Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties in Southern California. One case was disposed of during pre-trial motions.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated three claims seeking a combined $93 million down to settlements of $65,000, $15,000 and $10,000 on behalf of a steel manufacturing subcontractor of a 93-unit Los Angeles luxury condominium project.
- Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated walk away settlement for a plastering/drywall subcontractor in several actions, including a complex, 200+ unit building involving four separate projects in Oxnard, California.
- Law360, November 24, 2014
- California Building News, August 2014
- California Constructor Magazine, May 2016
- Orange County Lawyer, April 2016
- Architectural West, March 28, 2016
- Green Home Builder, December 10, 2014
- Peninsula Publishing, Inc. Blog, October 10, 2014
- Architectural West, September 2014
- Contractor Magazine, May 7, 2014
- Architectural West, July 2013
Past Speaking Engagements
- Orange County Bar AssociationOrange County, CA, March 2, 2016
- CA Supreme Court Decision Changes the Construction Defect Game by Increasing the Litigation Exposure of Design ProfessionalsIntermountain Construction Defect & Dispute ConferenceSandy, UT, May 15, 2015
- Orange County Bar AssociationNewport Beach, CA, April 1, 2015
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) Orange CountyOrange County, CA, January 14, 2015
- Orange County Bar AssociationOrange County, CA, February 6, 2013
- Western Council of Construction ConsumersJanuary 29, 2013
- Darren Barker Identifies Key Aspects of Beacon v. Skidmore April 1, 2015
- Attorney Darren Barker Discusses the Importance of Taking Timely Notes During Construction Conflicts January 14, 2015
- Decision in Beacon May Adversely Impact Builders and Developers October 13, 2014
- Darren Barker Discusses the California Supreme Court Ruling on Beacon v. Skidmore July 16, 2014
- How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors State Licensing Board Investigations June 6, 2014
- Darren Barker Discusses How Beacon v. Skidmore Will Affect Design Professionals May 20, 2014
- Design Professionals' Duty of Care Potentially Expanded with Beacon August 1, 2013
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- Dollar$ and Sense: What are the Business Impacts When A Construction Defect Case Resolves Against the Architect?Los Angeles Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute DinnerLos Angeles, California, May 24, 2017
- 1st Annual Intermountain Construction Defect & Dispute ConferenceMay 15, 2015
- Orange County Bar AssociationApril 1, 2015
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) Orange County Chapter’s January MeetingJanuary 14, 2015
- M&R BlogJuly 16, 2014
- M&R BlogJune 6, 2014
- Darren Barker and Eric Rans Discuss "How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors' State Licensing Board Investigations"M&R BlogJune 6, 2014