- California State Board of Contractors
- Southern California Contractor’s Association
- Associated General Contractors of California (Legal Advisory Committee)
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- United States District Court
Orange County Bar Association
Assistance League of Santa Ana
Tustin Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off
Cal Poly SLO Alumni Association
Western State University College of Law, J.D.
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, B.A
T. Darren Barker
Darren Barker is a partner in M&R’s Orange County office. He is a renowned defense attorney and routinely handles personal injury and property casualty cases. In addition, Darren has a particular expertise in construction law.
He litigates construction-related matters involving property owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and manufacturers. Likewise, Darren represents design professionals, architects, landscape architects, engineers and surveyors. Having owned his own contracting firm prior to practicing law and given his first-hand insight into the complexities of the construction industry, it is no wonder Darren is so highly sought after by those working in the space, including several of Southern California’s busiest contractors, for whom he also serves as corporate counsel and negotiator with both public and private entities. There is more. Darren has extensive experience handling product liability matters as well.
Prior to joining M&R, Darren was the co-owner of Barker & Barker Plastering, Inc. During law school, he served as a judicial clerk for Presiding Justice David Sills at the California Court of Appeal.
Awards & Recognitions
Darren was named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Construction Defects: Negotiated a $24 million construction defect claim down to $7.1 million on behalf of our builder client. Secured the favorable resolution and, in turn, successfully satisfied the settlement through the participation of several key subcontractors.
Design & Construction Management: Successfully handled a complex dispute involving the design of a hospital in Southern California. The case involved several design and construction management issues that were arguably the responsibility of a design professional, creating damages valued at approximately $10M. Through a unique defense strategy, deflected all responsibility for the alleged construction management issues, and negotiate a dismissal for a waiver of costs.
Design Professionals: Have secured several favorable resolutions in a myriad of cases filed against California licensed design professionals in actions involving the design of multi-million dollar private and public works projects. In so doing, have protected clients from potential State Licensing Board reprisals.
Product Liability & Personal Injury Defense: Successfully negotiated a complete settlement favorable to a manufacturer client in a product liability and personal injury lawsuit stemming from laceration injuries sustained by a minor when a shower door shattered.
Specialty Construction Defect Defense: Negotiated a $1.5M settlement for a concrete surfacing subcontractor when a major commercial Southern California airport authority sought over $9.6M in damages for surface deterioration to hanger floors allegedly caused by faulty concrete.
Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated a $5M claim for a retaining wall and waterproofing subcontractor in a construction defect lawsuit involving water intrusion at a 35,000 square foot, single-family detached residence on 1.9 acres of property in Orange County, California.
Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated favorable settlements for a subcontractor in over 90 cases alleging sheet metal defects in residential construction tracts in Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties in Southern California.
Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated reasonable settlements for a subcontractor in over 30 cases concerning alleged roofing defects in commercial and residential construction projects throughout Northern and Southern California.
Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated reasonable settlements in many of the 50 cases brought against a subcontractor for alleged stucco and lathing defects in residential construction tracts in Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties in Southern California. One case was disposed of during pre-trial motions.
Subcontractor Defense: Favorably settled three claims for $65,000, $15,000 and $10,000, respectively in cases against a steel manufacturing subcontractor, which cases sought a combined $93M.
Subcontractor Defense: Negotiated a "walk away" settlement on behalf of a plastering/drywall subcontractor faced with several actions involving four separate projects in Oxnard, California, including a very complex one having to do with a 200+ unit building.
- California Constructor Magazine, May 2016
- Orange County Lawyer, April 2016
- Architectural West, March 28, 2016
Past Speaking Engagements
- Dollar$ and Sense: What are the Business Impacts When A Construction Defect Case Resolves Against the Architect?Los Angeles Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute DinnerLos Angeles, California, May 24, 2017
- Orange County Bar AssociationOrange County, CA, March 2, 2016
- CA Supreme Court Decision Changes the Construction Defect Game by Increasing the Litigation Exposure of Design ProfessionalsIntermountain Construction Defect & Dispute ConferenceSandy, UT, May 15, 2015
- Orange County Bar AssociationNewport Beach, CA, April 1, 2015
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) Orange CountyOrange County, CA, January 14, 2015
- Darren Barker Identifies Key Aspects of Beacon v. Skidmore April 1, 2015
- Attorney Darren Barker Discusses the Importance of Taking Timely Notes During Construction Conflicts January 14, 2015
- Decision in Beacon May Adversely Impact Builders and Developers October 13, 2014
- Darren Barker Discusses the California Supreme Court Ruling on Beacon v. Skidmore July 16, 2014
- How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors State Licensing Board Investigations June 6, 2014
- Darren Barker Discusses How Beacon v. Skidmore Will Affect Design Professionals May 20, 2014
- Design Professionals' Duty of Care Potentially Expanded with Beacon August 1, 2013
- 1st Annual Intermountain Construction Defect & Dispute ConferenceMay 15, 2015
- Orange County Bar AssociationApril 1, 2015
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) Orange County Chapter’s January MeetingJanuary 14, 2015
- M&R BlogJuly 16, 2014
- M&R BlogJune 6, 2014
- Darren Barker and Eric Rans Discuss "How Legal Counsel Can Help During Contractors' State Licensing Board Investigations"M&R BlogJune 6, 2014