Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D.
University of Vermont, B.A.
Stacey West is an experienced labor and employment attorney who counsels and represents employers in a range of industries including entertainment, health care, hospitality and retail and apparel. She regularly counsels employers on state and federal employment acts, including Title VII, the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), as well as IRS tax issues.
Ms. West prepares and reviews employee handbooks, employment applications, personnel policies, sexual harassment training materials, independent contractor agreements, executive employment agreements, and federal and state family leave policies. She has successfully represented management in litigation involving wrongful termination in violation of public policy, breach of contract, discrimination, ERISA and employment-related torts. She has served as lead counsel during labor arbitrations, strikes and collective bargaining negotiations, and on a number of matters brought before the National Labor Relations Board.
A seasoned trial attorney, she served as second chair at trial in employment, franchise and construction defect matters. Ms. West has litigated several franchise matters, trade secret disputes and construction defect cases. She has also advises clients on First Amendment issues and real property transactions.
Ms. West earned her J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law, where she was a writer and editor of The Golden Gate University Law Review’s Ninth Circuit Survey, covering significant decisions in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ms. West earned her B.A. in Political Science from the University of Vermont.
- Employment Litigation: Assisted a prominent Los Angeles hospital and a large Riverside hospital in workplace investigations, training and drafting of employment policies and procedures. Also successfully represented the same hospitals in wrongful termination, breach of contract, employee fraud and sex/race/age/disability harassment and discrimination suits.
- Employment Litigation: Represented several national and international hotel and restaurant chains in wage and hour and race discrimination class actions, as well as other workplace and EEOC investigations and litigation matters.
- Employment Litigation: Represented several of the top national retailers in wage and hour and sex/race/age/disability harassment and discrimination class actions as well as other workplace and EEOC investigations and employment litigation matters. She has also drafted employment policies and procedures for retail clients.
- Employment Litigation: Successfully resolved two separate matters brought by former employees against the physicians who employed them. The employees alleged, among other things, that the physicians had denied pregnancy disability leave, engaged in religious discrimination and failed to follow California labor laws regarding overtime pay and meal and rest breaks. Ms. West was able to resolve the cases early into litigation for a significantly lower amount than Plaintiffs had demanded.
- Insurance Wage & Hour: M&R’s client, a prominent insurance company, was being investigated by the Department of Labor’s (DOL’s) overzealous investigator regarding minimum wage and overtime violations. On behalf her client, Ms. West alleged there were no violations, but unfortunately the client hadn’t kept accurate records. Ms. West was able to print out computer records demonstrating that a ten percent random sampling had never worked overtime. Ms. West further built a relationship with the overzealous investigator’s supervisor, convincing him of the one-sided approach, and various unethical tactics. Convinced DOL to drop case, settle for ten percent of original damage assessment with a six-month installment plan.
- Labor Relations: Handled labor arbitrations and oversaw campaigns for prominent hotel and restaurant chains.
- Labor Relations: Represented major hospitals, nursing homes and long-term care facilities in Northern and Southern California during labor arbitrations, strikes and collective bargaining negotiations.
- Movie Studios and Television Networks: Represented several large studios in multiple workplace investigations, cases requiring litigation and a major age discrimination class action. She further handled labor relations matters for multiple studios involving the Screen Actors’ Guild, the Directors’ Guild and the Writers’ Guild.
- Physicians’ Groups/Medical Practices: Resolved a number of sex/race/age/disability harassment and discrimination cases and wage and hour actions for several physicians groups and medical practitioners.
- Record Label: Assisted a top record label in investigating sensitive workplace violence, sexual harassment and sex and age discrimination matters. Ms. West has resolved matters brought by former employees without litigation through early settlement. She also provided workplace training for social media-savvy employees of the record label.
- Restaurant Labor Code Violations: Matter involved a family-owned pizza catering shop, where owner admittedly had not followed the California Labor Code with his employees for over 20 years, paying cash and not following overtime laws. After an unprofitable year, employer was unable to provide employees with their usual Christmas bonus, so one sued under the Private Attorney General Act for all violations. Employer was looking at several hundred thousand dollars in penalties and unpaid overtime. Ms. West convinced Plaintiff’s counsel that Plaintiff was complicit in the violations by taking money under table, and settled for nominal amount. She subsequently wrote and drafted new policies and a handbook that complied with all labor laws.
- Sexual Harassment and Discrimination: Served as lead investigator regarding allegations of sex harassment and discrimination for a well-known international rental car agency.
- Military Leave: What You Need to Know About SERRAAssociation of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Docket, Volume 21, Summer 2003
- Who is an Independent Contractor?Security Sales Magazine, February 2002
- Ninth Circuit SurveyThe Golden Gate University Law Review , 1992
Past Speaking Engagements
- New Employment LawLewitt Hackman2004-2008
- California Staffing ProfessionalsCalifornia Staffing Professionals2004
- National Association of Security and Alarm Companies2002
- Women’s Corporate Counsel Conference1999