Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Florida
- State Bar of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Southern and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
Orange County Bar Association
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida — certified mediator
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) — Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US)
CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified professional
Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT)
All Children’s Hospital Foundation Development Council
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Tampa Bay
Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D.
Vanderbilt University, M.A.
University of California at Santa Barbara, B.A.
Scott T. Lyon
Scott T. Lyon is an M&R partner whose expertise in technology, cybersecurity and data privacy is particularly relevant given today’s business climate. Among many other things, Mr. Lyon helps clients evaluate and implement effective information security practices. Likewise, he provides advice on best practices in the event of data breaches.
A litigator in both state and federal courts and transactional attorney, Mr. Lyon represents a wide range of clients, from information technology and electronic banking companies to innovative start-ups. Inside the courtroom, he has litigated on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial matters involving copyright, telecommunications, and regulatory compliance, international commerce, trade secrets, licensing and contract rights, bankruptcy, and landlord-tenant, construction, shareholder, and employment law disputes. Mr. Lyon has guided clients through confidential audits, internal investigations, and regulatory investigations as well. Beyond litigation, his clients seek Mr. Lyon’s counsel on everything from corporate formation to the establishment of intellectual property rights.
To illustrate Mr. Lyon’s vast knowledge of the technology, cybersecurity and data privacy landscape, he has been designated as a Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US), by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). This certification is awarded to professionals who have demonstrated knowledge and experience in U.S. privacy and security laws and regulations. In addition, Mr. Lyon is a Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT), as designated by the IAPP, which reveals his proficiency in the implementation of IT and engineering technologies relating to privacy and security. Having mastered the security technologies found in todays' extensive and varied IT environments, from mobile to traditional devices and operating systems, Mr. Lyon is also a CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified IT professional.
A reasoned and pragmatic lawyer to his core, he is a graduate of the University of South Florida Circuit Court Civil Mediation Training program and serves as a certified mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Litigation and Regulatory
- Represented financial service and healthcare providers in investigating and responding to data breach incidents.
- Represented client in responding to government inquiries regarding product data security.
- Represented financial services provider in defending against derivative action suit by minority shareholder.
- Represented national IT consulting firm in breach of contract suit against staffing provider for services performed on behalf of national bank.
- Represented national IT consulting firm in collection action based on breach of master services agreement by former client. Successfully obtained arbitration award and payment for client in full amount of damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Represented plaintiff who purchased apartment complex in Florida and discovered post-closing that the seller had misrepresented the number of legal units authorized by the city. Sued defendant-seller, broker and real estate agent for fraud and breach of contract, seeking compensatory and punitive damages. Defendants settled for a substantial confidential amount on the morning of trial.
- Represented printing company against allegations of sexual harassment, gender discrimination and hostile work environment claims by former employee. Succeeded in obtaining summary judgment for client after demonstrating numerous inconsistencies in plaintiff’s deposition.
- Represented national healthcare company in criminal investigation stemming from death of resident following treatment at client’s facility. Successfully settled potential claims after demonstrating insufficient evidence of alleged trauma.
- Represented regional hospital in suit against document storage company that refused to release stored medical records unless hospital paid an exorbitant “release” fee. Obtained judgment awarding damages against storage company, as well as attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented condominium owners unable to sell their unit to buyers with VA or other federally guaranteed financing because condominium association refused to amend bylaws prohibiting the permanent residence of families with children under the age of 12, in violation of the Fair Housing Act of 1968. Settled the case, with defendants paying clients’ lost profits plus all attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented landscaping company against homeowner claims of civil theft and trespass resulting from services performed on behalf of neighboring property owner. Succeeded in obtaining summary judgment by showing insufficient evidence of requisite criminal intent, and then successfully argued that landscaping client was automatically entitled to attorneys’ fees under Florida law.
- Counseled multiple international retailers on revision of privacy policies, terms and conditions and end-user license agreements, as well as responding to technology-based consumer rights issues. Counseled multiple international retailers on complying with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), CAN-SPAM Act, and state email advertising laws.
- Negotiated sponsorship agreements between electronic funds transfer management company client and various sponsor banks.
- Represented multiple information technology consulting clients in acquisition of established IT consulting firms.
- Drafted vendor and subcontractor agreements for national information technology client, as well as employment agreements, non-competition agreements and various other transactional documents. Drafted and negotiated website and branding design agreements.
- Obtained federal trademark registration for information technology consulting client despite opposition by international software giant.
- Law360, May 26, 2017
- Corporate Counsel, May 24, 2017
- California Legislature Takes Aim at IoT SecurityLaw360, April 12, 2017
- Cybersecurity Risks of Collaboration in the Construction IndustryUCON Magazine, April 1, 2017
- Law Firm Cyber IssuesSwiss Re Client Newsletter, March 31, 2017
- Are You a Cyber Target?Construction Business Owner Magazine, February 1, 2017
- New Jersey TCCWNA Developments Affecting Online RetailersSedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog, November 21, 2016
- NY Cybersecurity Regs Could Spur Legal Work Nationwide Corporate CounselCorporate Counsel, October 1, 2016
- House Committee Report Details Extent of OPM Security Failures Resulting in Breach of Over 30 Million RecordsSedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog, September 8, 2016
- Lessons from Ransomware Attacks on Healthcare ProvidersToday’s General Counsel, June 28, 2016
- The Encryption Debate Beyond the San Bernardino ShootersX, Summer 2016 editionABA Intellectual Property Law Committee, June 1, 2016
- Proposed Legislation Could Make It More Difficult for Law Enforcement to Identify Criminals Using Anonymizing TechnologySedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog, May 23, 2016
Past Speaking Engagements
- American Agents Alliance (AAA) Convention and ExpoPalm Desert, CA, September 24, 2017
- Legal Hackers of Orange CountyIrvine, CA, September 18, 2017
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) ACIC General Counsel SeminarSan Diego, CA, July 27, 2017
- Louisiana Insurers' Conference (LIC) Annual Compliance Seminar & Legislative ReviewNew Orleans, LA, June 22, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsMay 2017
- With New York Cybersecurity Rules in Place, the NAIC Looks to Follow Suit September 25, 2017
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- HMM, CPAs LLP 2017 Healthcare SummitMelville, NY, November 30, 2017