- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
- Surplus Lines Law Group
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Pennsylvania
Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation (Western Division Board of Directors)
Penn State Law (University Park Board of Advisers & Development Counsel)
Queen of Angels Foundation (Director)
The Dickinson School of Law, The Pennsylvania State University, J.D.
The Pennsylvania State University, Journalism, B.A.
Robert P. Barbarowicz
Robert Barbarowicz is a partner in M&R's Los Angeles office. He works primarily on corporate and insurance regulatory matters. For over 30 years, he has been structuring, negotiating and closing complex corporate transactions, such as the acquisitions and sales of insurance companies and insurance agencies. Bob also structures and advises clients in corporate finance transactions, including substantial capital extraction.
Bob has vast expertise in the areas of force-placed insurance, rate regulation and rate filings as well. He has represented many insurance carriers in matters before the California, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Connecticut, New Jersey, Virginia, Washington and Arizona insurance departments. In fact, Bob represents property and casualty, life and title insurance companies in various transactions and regulatory matters, and advises large financial institutions on matters relating to insurance and insurance regulatory issues that require approvals from state insurance regulators. Likewise, he counsels clients in matters relating to investigations and examinations by state insurance regulators. Bob also focuses on issues involving surplus lines carriers.
Additionally, Bob monitors insurance regulatory developments at the federal and state level for clients. He is an active participant at the meetings of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Prior to joining the Firm, Bob spent 11 years as a business executive and chief insurance regulation executive for Balboa Insurance Group. He was formerly an executive officer and general counsel of National Information Group and its insurance subsidiary, the Great Pacific Insurance Company. From 1982 to 1990, Bob was the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of The Ahmanson Insurance Companies.
Bob was a member of the Laws and Government Affairs Committees of the Property Casualty Insurers Association and was active in the Laws and Personal Lines Committees of the Association of California Insurance Companies.
Awards & Recognitions
In 2010, Bob was appointed by the New York Superintendent of Insurance to be a member of the group that advises the Superintendent on modernization of insurance filings in New York. His recommendations on improving the rate filing process, together with the other members of the Personal Lines sub-committee, are part of the December 2010 Insurance Filings Modernization Initiative Report to the Superintendent of Insurance.
Capital and Dividends: Advised clients on initial and revised capital structures, reorganizations and extraordinary dividends. Obtained regulatory approval for an extraordinary dividend in excess of $1 billion in a single transaction within 30 days of the dividend approval request.
Class Action Relating to Lender-Placed Insurance: Advised financial institutions and insurers on insurance regulatory issues in national class action litigation relating to lender-placed insurance.
Conservation, Rehabilitation, Liquidation: Advised and represented the California Insurance Commissioner in the conservation, rehabilitation and liquidation of Executive Life Insurance Company.
Corporate Insurance Transactions; Property, Casualty; Life Insurance: Advised and represented various clients in the acquisition and divestiture of property and casualty and life insurance companies in California, New York and Pennsylvania.
Financial Institutions and Lender-Placed Insurance: Advised financial institutions regarding lender-placed insurance matters.
Investigations and Examinations: Represented insurers in investigations and special examinations by state insurance regulators.
Lender-Placed Insurance: Advised and represented most of the largest writers of lender-placed insurance on state regulatory and rate matters.
National Flood Insurance Program: Advised insurers and financial institutions in matters relating to the National Flood Insurance Program.
Rate Matters: Advised and represented commercial property and casualty insurers in rate application matters in California and other states.
Regulatory: Advised and represented the Underwriters of Lloyds’ of London on California insurance regulatory matters.
Regulatory; Capital Transactions: Advised and represented insurers in complex regulatory insurance matters including those relating to capital transactions and planning.
Regulatory; Life Insurance: Advised and represented life insurance companies on California regulatory matters.
Regulatory; Title Insurance: Advised and represented a large title insurance company in various regulatory issues in California and other states. Also represented underwritten title insurance companies in California regulatory matters.
Reinsurance: Advised on international and domestic reinsurance transactions.
- Daily Journal, February 26, 2015
Past Speaking Engagements
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceDenver, CO, September 22, 2019
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceNashville, TN, September 26, 2018
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceNashville, TN, September 24, 2018
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) ACIC General Counsel SeminarSan Diego, CA, July 27, 2017
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarLas Vegas, NV, July 27, 2016
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceNew Orleans, LA, October 13, 2015
- Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) General Counsel SeminarLas Vegas, NV, July 23, 2015
- 2015 Southern California Casualty Actuarial Club’s Spring MeetingPasadena, CA, May 28, 2015
- Surplus Lines GroupScottsdale, AZ, May 2015
- Developments on Force-Placed Insurance April 4, 2014
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarJuly 27, 2016
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceOctober 13, 2015
- 2015 Southern California Casualty Actuarial Club’s Spring MeetingMay 28, 2015
- Spring Meeting of the Surplus Lines Law GroupApril 4, 2014