- Surplus Lines Law Group
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Pennsylvania
Queen of Angeles Foundation (Director)
Penn State Law (Board of Advisers)
The Dickinson School of Law, The Pennsylvania State University, J.D.
The Pennsylvania State University, Journalism, B.A.
Robert P. Barbarowicz
Robert Barbarowicz is a partner in Michelman & Robinson, LLP's (M&R's) Los Angeles office and leads the firm's Regulatory Practice Group.
Mr. Barbarowicz has extensive experience in both corporate and insurance regulatory matters. He has over 30 years of experience in structuring, negotiating and closing complex corporate transactions, including the acquisition and sale of insurance companies and insurance agencies. Mr. Barbarowicz has also structured and advised clients in corporate finance transactions including substantial capital extraction. In addition, he has an extensive insurance regulatory practice.
Mr. Barbarowicz has vast expertise in the areas of force-placed insurance, rate regulation, rate filings and complex corporate transactions. Mr. Barbarowicz has represented many insurance carriers in matters before the California, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Connecticut, New Jersey, Virginia, Washington and Arizona insurance departments. He represents property and casualty, life and title insurance companies in various significant transactions and regulatory matters. He advises large financial institutions on matters relating to insurance and insurance regulatory issues. His practice involves providing counsel regarding sensitive and complex regulatory matters, which require approvals from state insurance regulators. He has advised clients in matters relating to investigations and examinations by state insurance regulators. Mr. Barbarowicz also focuses on issues involving surplus lines carriers.
Additionally, Mr. Barbarowicz monitors insurance regulatory developments at the federal and state level for clients. He is an active participant at the meetings of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
He is a member of M&R's Conflicts, Ethics and Opinion Committee.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Barbarowicz spent 11 years as a business executive and chief insurance regulation executive for Balboa Insurance Group. He was formerly an executive officer and general counsel of National Information Group and its insurance subsidiary, the Great Pacific Insurance Company. From 1982 to 1990, Mr. Barbarowicz was the Executive Vice President and General Counsel of The Ahmanson Insurance Companies.
Mr. Barbarowicz was a member of the Laws and Government Affairs Committees of the Property Casualty Insurers Association and was active in the Laws and Personal Lines Committees of the Association of California Insurance Companies.
Mr. Barbarowicz earned his J.D. from the Dickinson School of Law, The Pennsylvania State University. He was a member of the Dickinson Law Review. He was conferred his B.A. in Journalism, also from The Pennsylvania State University.
Awards & Recognitions
In 2010, Mr. Barbarowicz was appointed by the New York Superintendent of Insurance to be a member of the group that advises the Superintendent on modernization of insurance filings in the State of New York. His recommendations on improving the rate filing process, together with the other members of the Personal Lines sub-committee, are part of the December 2010 Insurance Filings Modernization Initiative Report to the Superintendent of Insurance.
- Class Action Relating to Lender-Placed Insurance: Advises financial institutions and insurers on insurance regulatory issues in national class action litigation relating to lender-placed insurance.
- Conservation, Rehabilitation, Liquidation: Advised and represented the California Insurance Commissioner in the conservation, rehabilitation and liquidation of Executive Life Insurance Company.
- Corporate Insurance Transactions; Property, Casualty; Life Insurance: Advised and represented various clients in the acquisition and divestiture of property and casualty and life insurance companies in California, New York and Pennsylvania.
- Financial Institutions and Lender-Placed Insurance: Advises financial institutions regarding lender-placed insurance matters.
- Investigations and Examinations: Represents insurers in investigations and special examinations by state insurance regulators.
- Lender-Placed Insurance: Advises and represents most of the largest writers of lender-placed insurance on state regulatory and rate matters.
- National Flood Insurance Program: Advises insurers and financial institutions in matters relating to the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Rate Matters: Advises and represents commercial property and casualty insurers in rate application matters in California and other states.
- Regulatory: Advises and represents the Underwriters of Lloyds’ of London on California insurance regulatory matters.
- Regulatory; Capital Transactions: Advises and represents insurers in complex regulatory insurance matters including those relating to capital transactions and planning.
- Regulatory; Life Insurance: Advises and represents life insurance companies on California regulatory matters.
- Regulatory; Title Insurance: Advises and represents a large title insurance company in various regulatory issues in California and other states. Also represents underwritten title insurance companies in California regulatory matters.
- Reinsurance: Advises on international and domestic reinsurance transactions.
- Member of the special task force of the New York Superintendent of Insurance to consider changes to the filing and review of property and casualty rate filings.
- Member of the joint task force of the New York Superintendent of Insurance to consider matters relating to the licensing of title insurance agents.
- Participant in the workshop of the California Department of Insurance to consider changes to regulations relating to specialty insurance rate filings.
- February 4, 2015
- Robert Barbarowicz Honored at Penn State University's College of Communication Scholarship Recognition DinnerSeptember 24, 2014
- December 20, 2012
- Michelman & Robinson has added Robert Barbarowicz as Of Counsel in their Regulatory and Administrative GroupNovember 4, 2011
- Daily Journal, February 26, 2015
- Law360, November 4, 2013
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, January 21, 2013
- The Recorder, January 4, 2013
- Daily Journal, December 24, 2012
- Press Release, December 20, 2012
- Best's Insurance News, June 21, 2012
- Michelman & Robinson has added Robert Barbarowicz as of counsel in their Regulatory and Administrative DepartmentPress Release, November 4, 2011
Past Speaking Engagements
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) ACIC General Counsel SeminarSan Diego, CA, July 27, 2017
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarLas Vegas, NV, July 27, 2016
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceNew Orleans, LA, October 13, 2015
- Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) General Counsel SeminarLas Vegas, NV, July 23, 2015
- 2015 Southern California Casualty Actuarial Club’s Spring MeetingPasadena, CA, May 28, 2015
- Surplus Lines GroupScottsdale, AZ, May 2015
- Surplus Lines Law Group Fall MeetingSeattle, WA, October 10, 2014
- Surplus Lines Law Group Spring MeetingFt. Lauderdale, FL, April 4, 2014
- Fall meeting of the Surplus Lines Law GroupPhiladelphia, PA, October 18, 2013
- Federal Housing Finance Agency Action on Lender Placed Insurance and other Forced Placed Coverage Issues and DevelopmentsSurplus Lines Law GroupNew York, NY, March 22, 2013
- Developments on Force-Placed Insurance April 4, 2014
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarJuly 27, 2016
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP) Annual ConferenceOctober 13, 2015
- 2015 Southern California Casualty Actuarial Club’s Spring MeetingMay 28, 2015
- Spring Meeting of the Surplus Lines Law GroupApril 4, 2014