Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
Wabash College, B.A.
Michael Hatchett is a leading transactional lawyer and a partner in M&R’s Corporate and Tax Practice Groups. He brings to his clientele years of high-level dealmaking experience – from pre-transaction planning, strategy, negotiation and financing to execution, closing and post-closing activities.
Mr. Hatchett’s standing as a premiere M&A attorney stems, in part, from his prior work structuring complex transactions as Managing Partner of a private equity investment partnership. His success in that capacity – negotiating purchase and partnership agreements and managing equity investments and debt – was a direct result of Mr. Hatchett’s participation as counsel in deals having a transformational impact across a range of business sectors. In pharmaceuticals, he was among a group of senior lawyers representing Rhone-Poulanc, SA in its merger with Hoechst AG to create pharmaceutical giant Aventis. That led to Mr. Hatchett’s place on the team advising Smith Kline Beecham in its merger with Glaxo Wellcome, a deal that resulted in the world’s then-largest pharmaceutical company, GlaxoSmithKline. In manufacturing, he took part in the transaction forming Fort James, the largest paper maker in the U.S.
No doubt, Mr. Hatchett is well-versed in mergers and acquisitions, high-profile and otherwise, but his practice spans private placements, joint ventures, real estate investment and advice and counsel to institutional clients, middle-market family-owned businesses and start-ups as well. Whatever the transaction or issue may be, Mr. Hatchett’s client base benefits from a legal approach that is both practical and strategic.
Mr. Hatchett earned a J.D. from Columbia University Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Before that, he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa at, and conferred a B.A. from, Wabash College, magna cum laude.
- Inbound Investment: Regularly advise international companies and individuals seeking to expand their businesses in the U.S.on entity structure, U.S. and State investment program,s and the opportunities and pitfalls of the U.S. market.
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Partnerships: Represented Iguazu Atlantic Partners LLC, a London-based private equity partnership, in its pursuits of joint ventures in the mining industry in West Africa, Canada, and the U.S. Conducted onsite due diligence, drafted letters of intent, negotiated mining rights, and negotiated debt finance.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Led a team of lawyers in the roll up of medical service providers, including the purchase of an ambulatory service provider and an in-home care provider. Negotiated the terms of sale and purchase agreement, organized a new holding company, and assisted in the negotiation for new debt and equity for the combined firm.
- New Market Tax Credits: Represented developer Full Spectrum of NY, LLC and My Image Studios Inc., in the closing of a $21 million New Markets Tax Credit financing that provided the debt and equity to build a 20,000 square-foot African and Hispanic restaurant, production facility, and arts and culture center in Harlem, New York. Led a team of multi-disciplinary lawyers (including real estate, banking, tax and finance counsel) in structuring the deal, which included senior and junior debt, sale of tax credits for equity, and additional capital from the investors. Reviewed and coordinated numerous legal documents including loan agreements, corporate reorganizational documents, a building and construction agreement, and a tax opinion on the structure of the deal.
- Private Placement: Successfully advised a manufacturing licensee of the National Basketball Association on the sale of its stock in a private placement equity financing with angel investors. Helped draft, prepare, and review the private placement memorandum, negotiated the investor term sheet, drafted the Member Unit Purchase Agreement, the Amended and Restated Limited Liability Company Agreement, and various ancillary documents.
- MediaLink’s Founder Taps its Long-Time Advisor Michelman & Robinson, LLP in its Sale to Ascential plcPress Release, March 22, 2017
- Law360, June 10, 2016
- New York Law Journal, June 6, 2016
- May 31, 2016
- PropertyCasualty360, May 26, 2017
- Becker's Hospital Review, August 30, 2016
Past Speaking Engagements
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsLos Angeles, CA, May 2017