Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
California Hotel & Lodging Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
California State Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
University of Southern California Law School, J.D.
University of California, Los Angeles, Communication Studies, B.A
Jon S. Grizel
A member of M&R's Real Estate Department, Jon Grizel represents commercial real estate and financial services companies in securing and providing financing and asset-based loans, purchase and sale transactions, real estate joint ventures and industrial and office leasing.
Navigating clients through acquisition and construction financing, mezzanine financing, sale leaseback financing, and complex equity and debt investment structures, Mr. Grizel’s expertise encompasses a wide range of real estate transactional practice areas. He also frequently provides counsel in office and industrial leasing on behalf of landlords and tenants, and represents buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of improved and unimproved commercial and industrial properties.
Mr. Grizel represents lenders and borrowers in loan transactions secured by commercial real estate and/or personal property assets. He has recently devoted a significant amount of his practice to advising institutional lenders in loan restructurings, loan purchases and sales, intercreditor agreements, foreclosures, deed-in-lieu transactions and positioning REO assets for sale.
His clients include institutional lenders, finance companies and investment funds, as well as joint ventures, resort and hotel developers, private foundations and REITs.
Mr. Grizel received his J.D. from the University of Southern California Law School, where he was a staff member of both Major Tax Planning and Computer Law Journal. He earned his B.A. in Communication Studies from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Construction Loan Representation: Represented borrower in $85 million syndicated loan for construction of student housing in Southern California.
- Construction Loan: Represented lender in $18.3 million construction loan for shopping center in Rancho Mirage, California. The transaction included negotiations with subordinated debt holder.
- Conveyance-in-Lieu of Foreclosure: Represented mezzanine lender in negotiating and documenting a $14.4 million conveyance-in-lieu of foreclosure transaction, transferring to lender pledged membership interests in a multi-family residential development in Arizona.
- Deed-in-Lieu Transaction: Represented lender in negotiating and documenting $18 million deed-in-lieu transaction with contractors and home purchaser of partially constructed high-end residential development in Los Angeles. The transaction involved coordinating with the Department of Real Estate (DRE) on compliance matters.
- Deed-in-Lieu Transaction: Represented lender in negotiation and documentation of $100 million deed-in-lieu transaction of luxury fractional interest resort property. Mr. Grizel coordinated, negotiated and documented settlement agreements with borrower, guarantors, contractors and adjoining land owner. He further coordinated matters regarding the Department of Real Estate (DRE) compliance, title coverage issues pertaining to mechanics' lien coverage and stop notice claims; negotiated and documented amended and restated easement agreements; documented and implemented assignment of loan to affiliate and foreclosure by affiliated lender; negotiated and documented sales and marketing management agreement, brokerage agreements and termination of various service agreements.
- Joint Venture, Acquisition & Development: Readied numerous residential projects in California for acquisition and development, representing managing member in structuring joint ventures and negotiating asset management and third party service provider agreements.
- Joint Venture: Represented national retail investment company in the purchase of a $14 million shopping center. Transaction included a two-step closing to mitigate risk arising from potential contamination of outparcels, as well as negotiation and documentation of $10 million in bank debt. We also structured, negotiated and documented joint venture agreement with senior equity investor and a $3 million limited offering.
- Land Purchase: M&R represented developer in purchasing a 15-acre industrial property in Los Angeles County, which included extensive analysis and negotiation of risk allocation associated with significant environmental contamination. Mr. Grizel negotiated a holdback portion of the purchase price for post-closing remediation of environmental matters.
- Office Lease: Represented high profile charitable foundation in leasing 18,000 square foot office space in Los Angeles. Transaction included many complicated issues such as termination rights and unique subleasing stipulations.
- Office Lease: Represented national technology company as a tenant in a Silicon Valley 80,000 square foot office lease.
- Repositioning/Property Sale: Represented lender in positioning 86 partially entitled lots/REO residential developments in Southern California for sale, including negotiating amendments to association documents with master homeowner association and modifying Department of Real Estate (DRE) applications.
- Repositioning: Represented lender/seller in repositioning a foreclosed, high profile hotel/condominium property for sale in Northern California. The deal required completing construction, procuring permits, interfacing with City and County regulators, and negotiating and documenting sale agreement.
- Restructuring & Joint Venture: Handled negotiations and drafted contract amendments to assist client, the primary equity investor, in restructuring interrelated Southern California commercial development and raw land joint venture worth $55 million. Successfully implemented a wind down strategy to maximize client’s return on capital and limit exposure on pending projects.
- Sale & Defeasance: Represented seller in sale of a $25 million office tower and defeasance of $10 million loan. This complex transaction included extensive negotiation regarding purchase price holdback for pending completion of extensive tenant improvements in multiple tenant premises.
- April 4, 2016
- Michelman & Robinson Closes Second Multi-Million Dollar Transaction among TD Bank, N.A., the New Jersey Health Care Facilities Financing Authority and Shore Memorial HospitalMarch 11, 2010
- Michelman & Robinson Closes $30,000,000 Transaction among TD Bank, N.A., the New Jersey Health Facilities Financing Authority and Shore Memorial HospitalSeptember 30, 2009
Past Speaking Engagements
- Informal Educational PresentationOrange County, CA, July 31, 2013
- Distressed AssetsLee & Associates Annual SymposiumOctober 4, 2011
- Guaranties, One Form of Action Rule and Lender ProtectionsFirst American Title Insurance CompanyMay 11, 2011
- Significant Drop-Off in California Hotel Investments: Why, and What Lies Ahead? August 17, 2016
- S. CA Restaurant Chain to Pay Over $750,000 for Violating Wage & Hour Laws February 3, 2016
- How to Choose a Location for Your Restaurant October 8, 2014