Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
New York State Bar Association
(Co-Chair, Environmental Business Transactions Committee; Former Chair, International Environment Law Committee; Former Member, Executive Committee, International Law & Practice Section.)
American Bar Association
(Co-Chair, RCRA Litigation Subcommittee, Environmental Litigation Committee; Former Chair, Environmental Transactions and Brownfields (ETAB) Committee.)
Tulane University School of Law, J.D.
Northwestern University, B.S.
Jon S. Brooks
Jon Brooks is a partner in M&R’s New York office, where he specializes in both litigation (commercial and environmental) and environmental law. He advises an array of clients on the environmental aspects of real estate, corporate, and financial transactions, and advocates for them in complex commercial disputes in both trial and appellate courts.
After earning his J.D. from Tulane University School of Law, Jon began his legal career as a commercial and environmental litigator. He honed his skills at Wall Street law firms and the U.S. Department of Justice, and since then tries cases and argues appeals in state and federal courts. During his years as an attorney, Jon has successfully defended clients in ERISA, Superfund and RCRA matters, and has prosecuted a myriad of complex commercial disputes.
By virtue of his expertise in environmental law and his standing amongst the legal community, Jon twice was selected as Chairman of the International Environmental Law Committee of the New York State Bar Association. It was in that leadership capacity that he became acutely aware of the nature and extent of environmental degradation in Central and Eastern Europe, which drove Jon to establish Cirrus Resources Inc., a company through which he advised both Fortune 100 companies and local entrepreneurs on the structuring of energy, environmental, and economic development projects in the formerly Communist region. Also, as CEO of Cirrus Resources, Jon was one of two private sector representatives appointed to the United States delegation to the CSCE Conference on the Conversion of Military Production Facilities.
As mentioned, Jon earned a J.D. from Tulane University School of Law, where he was named the Nation’s “Best Oralist” in the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition. Also while at Tulane, he was the Judicial Extern to United States District Court Judge Morey L. Sear, and served as Articles Editor of The Maritime Lawyer. Immediately after receiving his law degree, Jon joined the United States Department of Justice Summer Honors Program. He did his undergraduate work at Northwestern University.
Awards & Special Recognitions
Each year since 2011, Jon has been selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers - Metro New York Edition (Environmental Law). Likewise, he was named a Super Lawyer in the 2013 Super Lawyers Business Edition (Construction, Real Estate & Environmental Law). That same year, Jon was honored by the Long Island Business News (Long Island, New York), which also designated him as "Ones to Watch: Long Island Law" in its November 9, 2011 issue. Jon was named “2017 Environmental Lawyer of the Year – New York” by Corporate INTL.
- New York Law Journal, September 14, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP’s New York Office Adds Five New Attorneys Marking Tremendous Firmwide GrowthPress Release, September 12, 2017
Past Speaking Engagements
- U.S. Shopping Center Law ConferenceOrlando, FL, October 26, 2018
- Real Estate Board of New YorkNew York, NY, October 31, 2017
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law ConferenceSan Antonio, TX, October 27, 2017