- Association of California Insurance Companies
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals
- California Insurance Wholesalers Association
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel
- National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices, Ltd.
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
American Bar Association
California State Bar Association
San Francisco Bar Association
Archdiocese of San Francisco (Board of Education)
Fairmont Homeowners Association (Chair)
University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D.
University of San Francisco, M.B.A.
University of San Francisco, B.S.
John A. Sebastinelli
With over 25 years of experience in the insurance regulatory arena, handling matters in almost every aspect of the insurance sector, John Sebastinelli is a highly sought-after attorney in his field.
Mr. Sebastinelli focuses his practice primarily on California insurance regulatory law matters. He represents over 100 property/casualty and life/health insurers and other insurance-related organizations in a vast array of regulatory, transactional and compliance issues. Mr. Sebastinelli represents his insurance and captive insurance company clients in licensing and mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, he handles retail and surplus line brokerages as well as insurance company and reinsurance transactions.
He also routinely handles health, disability and life (including variable annuity and variable life) policy filings; property and casualty insurance rate and form filings; and risk retention and purchasing group registrations. He also represents surplus line insurance companies, advising on their insurance policy development and filings.
Mr. Sebastinelli provides counsel to clients on market conduct and claims examinations, Special Investigative Units (SIU) and Proposition 103 compliance, and administrative actions. He also represents life and health insurers on product filings, mergers and acquisitions, reinsurance, purchase and sale of product lines, and holding company filings and compliance with Departments of Insurance. Mr. Sebastinelli provides legal representation regarding insurance products and services to both retail and wholesale insurance brokers, and he counsels on the development of innovative insurance products specifically tailored to the unique needs of technology companies.
Mr. Sebastinelli's philanthropic endeavors include serving for many years as the Chair of the Archdiocese of San Francisco Board of Education, where he was responsible for the operational oversight of all parochial elementary schools and select high schools in San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo counties.
Mr. Sebastinelli earned his J.D. from the University of San Francisco School of Law. He was conferred his M.B.A. and his B.S. in Business Administration from the University of San Francisco.
- Acquisitions: Handles the purchase and sale of insurance companies (property and casualty; life and disability) and existing books of business and/or product lines.
- Compliance: Represents insurers before Departments of Insurance in all areas of insurance regulatory compliance.
- Insurance Brokerage: Handles the licensing of insurance production agencies and regulatory matters before the California Department of Insurance.
- Life and Health Insurance: Handles insurance rate and form filings (including variable annuity and variable life) and health and disability policy filings with the California Department of Insurance through SERFF, including market conduct and annuity sales.
- Property and Casualty Insurance: Handles company formation and licensing, insurance company acquisitions and mergers, product development, market conduct and compliance, formation of insurance captives, and insurance holding company transactions.
- Reinsurance: Handles the negotiation of reinsurance agreements and related insurance regulatory matters before the California Department of Insurance.
- Surplus Line Insurance: Represents surplus line brokers and entities before the California Department of Insurance and the Surplus Line Association of California.
- Insurance Journal, January 6, 2009
Past Speaking Engagements
- An Overview of the Formation and Use of Captives, Fronting Arrangements, Risk Retention Groups and Risk Purchasing Groups2010 PIAA Corporate Counsel WorkshopSan Diego, CA, November 5, 2010