Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
New York City Bar Association, Committee on Insurance Law
Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation (Northeastern Division, Board of Directors)
Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
JillAllison Opell serves as chair of Michelman & Robinson’s (M&R’s) Insurance Industry Group. She focuses on a broad range of regulatory issues for insurance companies, agents, brokers and other clients throughout the industry. Ms. Opell has represented insurers in all lines of business, including accident, life and health, property and casualty, surplus lines, travel and reinsurance.
Ms. Opell’s regulatory expertise includes advising clients on Holding Company Act issues including acquisitions, intercompany agreements and investment laws, as well as compliance, licensing and Affordable Care Act issues. She has counselled private equity funds, insurers, reinsurers, agents and other insurance industry professionals, helping to achieve compliance, obtain transaction approval and develop new products. Always monitoring and analyzing the latest regulatory developments, she assists clients with both federal and state regulatory investigations.
Propelled by her extensive transactional experience, Ms. Opell advises clients regarding and assists in the preparation of regulatory filings associated with acquisitions of insurance companies, as well as those related to affiliated transactions and other holding company transactions, such as redomestications and demutualizations. Additionally, she has counselled clients on the regulatory landscape related to captive insurance companies and “XXX reserves.”
Frequently retained to guide clients through the legal and financial intricacies of complex transactions, Ms. Opell utilizes her in-depth knowledge and expertise to help clients satisfy immediate and long-term goals, while avoiding unnecessary expense and regulatory entanglements.
During law school, Ms. Opell served as Notes and Articles Editor for the Fordham International Law Journal.
- Counsel to one of the nation’s largest personal lines and commercial insurance brokers. Handled several significant roll-up deals, including the acquisition of two insurance brokerages for a combined enterprise value exceeding $300 million.
- Represented holding company in all insurance regulatory matters arising from the acquisition and demutualization of a commercial insurance company. This process required adherence to various regulations that affected over 5,000 policyholders and compliance with the Louisiana Department of Insurance. Drafted all affiliated agreements, including the Investment Management Agreement, and worked closely with the Louisiana Department of Insurance to obtain approval.
- Represented government entity in a complicated and contentious transaction (that had been pending for over a year) with respect to the approval of a prominent insurance company’s reorganization and conversion from a mutual insurance company to a stock insurance company, as well as the ultimate acquisition of the converted entity by another insurance company.
- Acted as global insurance counsel for a multi-billion dollar private equity fund. Provided long-term strategic advice with respect to significant insurance acquisitions. Advised on all insurance M&A matters and acted as strategic counsel for portfolio insurance companies and insurance businesses.
- Acted as insurance counsel in acquisitions of MGAs and similar regulated businesses for a major private equity fund.
- June 5, 2017
- April 28, 2017
- March 2, 2017
- June 7, 2016
- Law360, March 9, 2017
- PropertyCasualty360, May 26, 2017
- Insurance Journal, April 12, 2017
- Insurance Journal, March 6, 2017
- NY's Stricter Insurance M&A Rule May Block Capital FlowLaw360, June 10, 2014
- Country Q&A: Insurance and Reinsurance in the United StatesPractical Law CompanyPLC Cross-border Insurance and Reinsurance Handbook, 2010
- Israel, Palestine, and the Oslo Peace AccordsFordham International Law Journal, 1999
Past Speaking Engagements
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI) ACIC General Counsel SeminarSan Diego, CA, July 27, 2017
- Louisiana Insurers' Conference (LIC) Annual Compliance Seminar & Legislative ReviewNew Orleans, LA, June 22, 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsLos Angeles, CA, May 2017
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsMay 2017
- Examining the Implications of Recent Health Insurance Consolidation, and the Latest Issues Related to the Seeming Demise of Health Insurance CO-OPsAmerican Conference Institute's 11th National ForumMarch 1, 2016