Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Orange County Bar Association
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D.
University of Southern California, B.S.
Jennifer A. Mauri
Jennifer Mauri is an associate in Michelman & Robinson’s (M&R’s) Intellectual Property Practice. Ms. Mauri handles patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and antitrust matters. She has significant experience in complex intellectual property litigation and, in particular, disputes related to pharmaceuticals. Ms. Mauri also represents clients in complex commercial litigation, including class action lawsuits.
As a member of M&R's Pharmaceutical Patents team, Ms. Mauri regularly advises clients on issues related to IP enforcement strategies, portfolio management, due diligence, and other commercial matters. Prior to becoming an attorney, Ms. Mauri enjoyed a career in microbiology within the pharmaceutical industry.
Ms. Mauri also counsels clients in the technology industry, strategically advising companies regarding patent portfolio strength, as well as favorable patent terms during settlement negotiations,
Awards & Recognitions
- California State Bar's Wiley W. Manuel Award (2008-2009)
- Breach of Contract: One of the largest non-profit philanthropic organizations in the world retained Ms. Mauri to enforce contract terms limiting a contractee’s ability to obtain patent rights on jointly developed technology. Ms. Mauri successfully negotiated a settlement in which all patent rights on the jointly developed technology were abandoned and unenforceable by the contractee.
- Class Action: Defended two corporations against class action lawsuit alleging violation of California's Unfair Competition Law in relation to rental car insurance.
- Class Action: Defended insurance company against alleged violations of RICO Act, Truth in Lending Act, breach of contract and unjust enrichment related to roadside assistance policy.
- False Claims Act: Ms. Mauri, as part of an Orange County-based IP litigation team, represents a pharmaceutical company suing on behalf of the United States federal and state governments due to another pharmaceutical company’s wrongfully attaining patent rights and overcharging government agencies, including Medicare and Medicaid and the Veterans’ Administration, during the term of the wrongfully obtained patent it claimed covered the drug.
- Patent Due Diligence: Ms. Mauri was retained by a manufacturer of blind spot and lane departure systems for automobiles to evaluate its family of patents and draft an opinion on the validity and freedom to operate of those patents, in advance of the sale of the company. The company, including the family of patents reviewed by Ms. Mauri, was acquired in a favorable sale.
- Patent Infringement: Ms. Mauri, as part of an Orange County-based IP litigation team, represented a generic pharmaceutical company in a patent infringement action involving two pharmaceutical test method patents. She assisted in overturning a preliminary injunction instituted against the client, allowing the client to market and sell the drug with resulting annual sales of $2 billion. The case was ultimately successful on summary judgment.
- Patent Infringement: A software and game developer retained Ms. Mauri as part of an IP litigation team to defend it against allegations of patent infringement based on its sales of video games, which used lip-synchronization software to generate animated mouth movements synced to audio files. Ms. Mauri assisted in successfully invalidating the patents-at-issue under Section 101 of the Patent Act.
- Patent Portfolio Management: Ms. Mauri was retained by a major pharmaceutical manufacturer to analyze its issued and pending patent claims related to a specific drug product. Based on Ms. Mauri’s advice, as well as others in an Orange County-based IP team, the company was able to successfully file additional patent applications that maximized the patent coverage possible for the product.
- Trademark Infringement: Ms. Mauri represented a major media company in a dispute over the unauthorized use of its trademarks by a competitor. Ms. Mauri successfully engaged in pre-suit negotiations, which resulted in a favorable resolution to the dispute prior to the filing of a lawsuit.
- Law360, August 9, 2016
- IPFrontline, April 14, 2016
- Law360, April 13, 2016
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 13, 2016
- IPWatchdog, September 2, 2016