Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- England (Barrister and Solicitor)
- U.S. Tax Court
American Bar Association
Committee on Taxation of Business Entities, New York City Bar
International Fiscal Association
New York International Tax Club (Chairman)
New York State Bar Association
L.L.M, Federal Taxation, New York University
B.A, University of Westminster, London
Ian Shane is a partner and Chair of M&R’s Tax Department. He routinely advises clients with respect to U.S. corporate tax planning and structuring for a variety of transactions, including inbound and outbound transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate restructuring.
Ian also provides tax advice to partnerships and LLC’s on domestic tax issues and counsels U.S. companies on international tax planning issues arising from investing overseas, particularly in Europe and Asia. He has advised on choice of entity, check-the-box regulations, as well as cross border financings, transfer pricing, and inbound and outbound asset and stock transfers.
In addition to advising U.S. companies, Ian has represented foreign companies investing in the U.S., providing advice on cash flows in and out of the U.S. and structuring arrangements that take into account foreign and domestic tax rules to minimize U.S. and foreign tax liability.
Ian has published a series of articles on tax and business subjects for various publications, including British Airways’ Business Life Magazine.
Prior to joining M&R, Ian held several positions as a Partner and Of Counsel at AmLaw 100 and international law firms in London and New York.
Anti-Avoidance Advice: Assisted an established U.S. business in structuring a new outsourcing operation in Asia, including advice on controlled foreign company issues, economic substance requirements, transfer pricing matters and advice on repatriation of profits back to the US.
Change of Control Tax Issues: Provided advice to a U.S. corporation with substantial carried forward NOL’s on potential ‘change of control’ issues arising from the conversion of loans into equity and the restructuring of its equity.
Inbound Investment Structuring: Represented a UK hospitality business in establishing an operation in the U.S. for the first time, including tax structuring and advice on federal, state and local tax issues.
International Tax Structuring: Structured the establishment of a subsidiary in New York of a broker/dealer business based in London. He effected a tax structuring involving a corporate blocker and an operating LLC so that profit interests could be given to employees. Advised owners of the business, who had not previously done business in the U.S. on all federal, state and city tax issues relating to their new U.S. subsidiary.
International Tax Structuring: Successfully assisted his client, a major apparel retailer in the Northeast U.S., in opening its first store outside of the country (Amsterdam). He performed all of the U.S. international tax work for the client, working closely with Dutch tax advisers. At the same time, he helped the client form a Mexican subsidiary for the Dutch holding company and acquired a garment production facility, equipment and workforce to produce the clothes for the client’s new European venture. Coordinated the Dutch, Mexican and U.S. components of the project and advised on U.S. international tax issues.
Litigation Settlement Tax Issues: Provided advice to a New York based private equity fund on the tax consequences of investing in litigation claims.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Acted for a U.S. subsidiary of a well-known Asian electronics company in a number of stock acquisitions in which the client made section 338(h)(10) elections to treat the stock acquisition as an asset acquisition for federal income tax purposes.
Representation Before IRS: Advised a variety of individual clients advising them regarding the disclosure of offshore financial accounts through the IRS’s Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program and Streamlined Process.
Structured Financing: Represented a leading aviation services platform and top ten charter operator in a refinancing transaction resulting in it raising $60 million in equity and debt to fund a number of strategic initiatives.
Tax-Free Spin-Off: Advised a U.S. health care group on a tax free spin-off of its ambulance subsidiary to its shareholder as part of a corporate restructuring, and on golden parachute payments which arose as part of the restructuring.
Tax Structuring Share Transfers: Provided tax advice and structured a buy/sell agreement for an S corporation whereby a corporation purchases life insurance on its shareholders and all shareholders and the corporation enter into a buy/sell agreement so, in the event of a shareholders’ death, the corporation can use the proceeds of the life insurance policy to purchase the deceased shareholder’s shares from his or her estate.
- Business Insider, Erie News Now, Business Aviation and Corporate Jet Investor, February 27, 2019
- New York Times, February 12, 2019
- The New York Times, February 23, 2018
- MediaLink’s Founder Taps its Long-Time Advisor Michelman & Robinson, LLP in its Sale to Ascential plcPress Release, March 22, 2017
- New York Times, February 18, 2017
- Tax Notes International, May 23, 2016
- Law360, October 22, 2015
Past Speaking Engagements
- Airline Financial and Accounting Managers Association (AFAMA) Sales Tax MeetingNew York, New York, October 24, 2019
- PrimeGlobal Annual Tax ConferenceOrlando, FL, January 7, 2019
- PrimeGlobal Annual Tax ConferenceOrlando, FL, January 6, 2019
- International Wealth Tax AdvisorsNew York, NY, January 30, 2018
- Transnational Taxation Network’s USA Tax ConferenceNew York, NY, May 2, 2016
- Foreign Activities of US Taxpayers, Foreign Lawyers Forum, Transfer Pricing, and US Activities of Foreigners and Tax TreatiesAmerican Bar Association (ABA) Business Law Section Annual MeetingChicago, IL, September 18, 2015
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Offshore Insurance Subsidiaries Dance to a Different BEAT September 6, 2018
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Do Insurance and Real Estate Brokers Benefit? September 6, 2018
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: What Investors Need to Know June 13, 2018
- Is a C-Corp. Conversion Right for Your Business? February 26, 2018
- Brexit: The Knowns and The Known Unknowns August 15, 2016