- California Hotel & Lodging Association
- International Trademark Association
- League of California Cities
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Alameda County Bar Association (Trial Practice Section, Executive Committee, 2009 - Present)
American Bar Association Conference of Delegates for Alameda County
Bar Association of San Francisco
State Bar of California (Business Litigation Section)
Earl Warren Inn of Court (2005 - Present)
University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D.
University of California at Davis, B.A.
David C. Lee
With over 15 years of litigation experience, David C. Lee leads M&R's Intellectual Property Practice Group. He focuses his practice on matters relating to the automotive; Internet, software and technology; and hospitality industries.
Mr. Lee handles copyright and trademark claims, trade secrets and Internet domain name disputes. He also provides a variety of business litigation services relating to contractual rights, corporate management and real estate. His clients consist of technology companies and business owners.
Mr. Lee routinely navigates clients through complex business and corporate litigation matters. He represents companies throughout all stages of growth—from early stage entrepreneurs to mature Fortune 500 companies—and provides risk management and general counsel to startups and growing companies involved in intellectual property disputes, breach of royalty agreements and contract negotiations.
Having served as lead counsel on numerous legal matters, Mr. Lee has successfully obtained verdicts in both jury and bench trials, and has prevailed in mediation and arbitration. He has a proven track record of representing clients in appellate court proceedings and has successfully obtained early dismissals of class action lawsuits and other causes of action.
Mr. Lee received his J.D. from the University of San Francisco School of Law, where he was Substantive and Survey Editor of the U.S.F. Maritime Law Journal, and a Member of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association (APALSA). He earned his B.A. in English from the University of California, Davis.
Awards & Recognitions
In 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Mr. Lee was named to the list of Northern California Super Lawyers.
- Breach of Contract Defense: Represented a major computer memory retailer in an action alleging breach of contract through the sale of allegedly defective hardware products installed in a global Internet search engine company’s technical infrastructure. Mr. Lee successfully resolved the action in mediation for a fraction of the claimed damages initially sought by the plaintiff.
- Breach of Contract: Mr. Lee represented a prolific rock band in an action against its record label for breach of contract concerning royalty payments. Against potential claims of expired limitations periods, Mr. Lee attacked the viability of the underlying recording agreements, and ultimately forced defendant to pay all outstanding royalties to client.
- Breach of Contract: Represented a large, local, public port in the defense of a $300 million claim brought by a national terminal operator alleging numerous violations, including several against California’s Tidelands Trust Act.
- Copyright Infringement: A popular game manufacturer retained Mr. Lee to prosecute a copyright infringement action against a counterfeiting ring comprised of local and China-based corporate and individual defendants who sold knock-off products in the United States and abroad. After extensive discovery efforts, Mr. Lee achieved a stipulated judgment against defendants that required payment to the client of the maximum statutory damages allowable under the law for willful copyright infringement, as well as a permanent injunction against the future sale of counterfeit products.
- Domain Name Dispute: Represented a local world-renowned science and education museum as a plaintiff in a dual trademark infringement action and domain name dispute against a competing science museum. Mr. Lee successfully prevailed in the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceeding resulting in the forced transfer of defendant’s domain name to client, and thereafter resolved the federal infringement action with defendant’s complete relinquishment of all offending use of client’s trademarks.
- Software Service Agreements: Mr. Lee represented an emerging software company in negotiations with a global media and entertainment corporation in connection with a valuable business services agreement. Throughout the negotiations, Mr. Lee protected his client’s software development and intellectual property rights resulting in a mutually beneficial transaction.
- Trademark Infringement: Represented the National Football League Properties, LLP and a local National Football League franchise in multiple trademark infringement and false designation of origin matters against defendants in connection with their unlicensed use of trademarks and sale of merchandise. Through the rapid initiation and prosecution of legal proceedings, clients achieved favorable monetary settlements and consent decrees prohibiting similar future conduct by defendants.
- M&R is Pleased to Announce Our Attorneys’ Inclusion in the List of 2016 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJuly 14, 2016
- Michelman & Robinson Representing Plaintiff David Lowery Against Spotify in a $150 Million Class Action Over Unpaid RoyaltiesDecember 29, 2015
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of 2015 Northern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsFebruary 27, 2015
- Michelman & Robinson Attorneys Named to the List of 2014 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising StarsJuly 3, 2014
- Michelman & Robinson Expands its San Francisco Litigation Practice with the Addition of Partners William E. Adams and David C. Lee, and Associate Ilse C. ScottAugust 1, 2013
- Bloomberg Technology, August 10, 2016
- Law360, January 6, 2016
- Billboard, December 29, 2015
- AAHOA Lodging Business, October 6, 2015
- Hotel News Now, June 30, 2015
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal, September 8, 2014
- The National Law Journal, August 19, 2013
- The Daily Journal, August 12, 2013
- The Recorder, August 12, 2013
- Bloomberg.com, August 6, 2013
- Michelman & Robinson, Expands its San Francisco Commercial & Business Litigation Practice with the Addition of Three Top AttorneysPress Release, August 1, 2013
- Hotel News Now, November 2, 2016
- Hotel News Now, February 10, 2016
- Without Prejudice, August 2015
- Law360, July 6, 2015
- HL Converge, January 21, 2015
- HL Converge, December 5, 2014
Past Speaking Engagements
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarLas Vegas, NV, July 27, 2016
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of California (IIABCal) Blue Ribbon ConferenceBig Island, HI, May 3, 2016
- 2016 InnSpire Conference & Trade ShowMonterey, CA, February 2, 2016
- Hotel Council of San FranciscoSan Francisco, CA, May 28, 2015
- 2015 AAHOA Annual Convention & Trade ShowLong Beach, CA, April 23, 2015
- California Hotel & Lodging Association (CH&LA)San Francisco, CA, August 21, 2014
- Wendy’s Data Breach Expands in Scope, Malware Attacks Point-of-Sale System June 15, 2016
- UPDATE: The Priceline Negotiator Fails: BOOKING.COM Is Rejected As A Trademark April 22, 2016
- Digital Information – Now Protected More Than Ever December 3, 2015
- FCC Continues Issuing Fines for Wi-Fi Blocking November 3, 2015
- Copyrightable-Copywrongable: Cookbook Recipes That Lack Creativity Are Not Protectable Copyrights October 21, 2015
- Alert: Third Circuit Affirms FTC’s Authority to Regulate Companies’ Data Security August 24, 2015
- OTAs and the Back-Tax Parade August 14, 2015
- City of Los Angeles vs. Patel Update: U.S. Supreme Court Strikes Down Warrantless Searches of Guest Registries June 22, 2015
- Motel 6: We’ll Leave The Light on For You (and Let the Police Know You’re Here) May 5, 2015
- Best Practices for Avoiding and Responding to a Cyber-Attack April 23, 2015
- AT&T Forced to pay FCC $25 Million for Failing to Safeguard Customer Information April 9, 2015
- Expedia-Orbitz Merger Likely to Survive Regulatory Scrutiny March 27, 2015
- Expedia…En Fuego March 11, 2015
- Can One Copyright a Recipe? District Court Judge says “No” March 2, 2015
- Senate Introduces Cyberthreat Data Sharing Legislation February 19, 2015
- Court Dismisses Cyber-Attack Lawsuit Against P.F. Chang's for Lack of Actual Harm December 17, 2014
- The Taste of Failure November 10, 2014
- Hotel Groups in the Hot Seat for Failing to Obtain "Caller Consent" November 4, 2014
- SUPERVALU Experiences Criminal Intrusion in Computer Network August 25, 2014
- How Hoteliers Will Benefit from ".hotel" Generic Top Level Domain August 21, 2014
- 27th Annual ACIC General Counsel SeminarJuly 27, 2016
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of California (IIABCal) 2016 Blue Ribbon ConferenceMay 3, 2016
- Cyber Security SeminarMay 28, 2015
- 2015 AAHOA Annual Convention & Trade ShowApril 23, 2015
- CH&LA Northern California Lodging ConferenceAugust 21, 2014