- American Lodging and Hotel Association
- Americas Lodging Investment Summit Law Conference (Planning Committee)
- California Hotel & Lodging Association (Government & Legal Relations Committee Member)
- Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations (Advisory Board)
- Hotel Executive (Editorial Board)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
California Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
Los Angeles Superior Court Settlement Officer
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Pro Tem
Young Presidents' Organization (Bel Air Chapter)
YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles (Board of Directors)
Angel City Sports (Board of Directors)
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
University of California, San Diego, B.A.
Dana A. Kravetz
Dana A. Kravetz is Firm Managing Partner, who operates out of M&R's Los Angeles office. He is also Chair of the firm's Hospitality Industry Group, having a practice that focuses on the representation of hotel and restaurant management.
In his role as Firm Managing Partner, Dana oversees a complex and thriving business spread across five offices nationwide. He brings a unique vantage point to his work as a lawyer – that of a business owner/operator – which enables him to assign practical applications to employment issues confronting M&R’s client base. Likewise, given that he runs a firm with offices in multiple jurisdictions, Dana has firsthand knowledge as to how best to manage off-site employees, as well as a keen understanding of the interplay between state and federal laws, all of which inures to the benefit of M&R’s industry clientele.
It is his approach to cases as a business owner/operator that makes his defense of clients in various employment matters – discrimination, wrongful termination, whistleblower and class action litigation, sexual harassment prevention, workforce reduction, hiring best practices and wage and hour issues – a cut above and beyond routine. And unlike other experienced labor and employment practitioners, Dana’s fluency in disputes involving the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is enhanced by virtue of his management expertise. The same can be said of his work with companies facing Department of Labor (DOL) and Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) claims and audits.
In addition to the foregoing, Dana advises and litigates on behalf of clients in connection with executive employment contract disputes; independent contractor and misclassification issues; and non-competition, separation and non-disclosure agreements. He also handles workplace training, investigations and compliance.
Dana sits on the Board of Directors of the YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles, a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. He is also a board member of Angel City Sports, which creates sports opportunities for adults, children and veterans with physical differences and impairments and advances the adaptive sports movement regionally and nationally.
Awards & Special Recognitions
Dana was selected as an Employment Trailblazer for 2019 by the National Law Journal; was a 2017 finalist for the Los Angeles Business Journal's Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year Award; has been included in the 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 Best Lawyers in America USA Guide (Labor Law, Management); named to the list of Southern California’s Super Lawyers from 2005-2019; received special recognition as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Southern California by Super Lawyers Magazine in both 2015 and 2016; is among an exclusive group of Southern California lawyers asked to participate in Super Lawyers' Blue Ribbon Panel to evaluate the nominees for upcoming Southern California Super Lawyers lists; was selected to the “Top 40 Under 40” list; and chosen one of the “Most Trusted Advisors” by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal in 2011.
Age Discrimination: Successfully defended a construction company facing age discrimination claims resulting from layoffs.
Age Discrimination: Successfully resolved age discrimination lawsuit brought by former vice president of sales of direct response marketing company by using his sales plan as evidence against him.
Business Transactions: Served as outside general counsel for action sports and television production company handling areas of licensing, production, and employment.
Class Action Defense: Represented nursing homes in wage and hour class actions brought by former live-in employees.
Disability Discrimination: Resolved dual employment actions brought against major glass manufacturer and retailer.
Disability Discrimination: Successfully defended a regional radiology medical group in a disability discrimination lawsuit brought by a former partner, which included a buyout of the partner's interest.
EEOC Charge: Resolved dual employment actions brought against a major record label by former employees with no exposure to the company.
Employment Counseling: Served as employment counsel for international automobile repair and roadside assistance company with over 500 employees.
Employment Counseling: Represented multiple veterinary clinics in formation, compliance, and employment-related matters and litigation.
Employment Counseling and Litigation: Represented ambulance companies and specialized clinics in all areas of employment.
Executive Employment Agreements: Prepared numerous executive employment agreements involving industry-specific compensation packages for educational institutions, health care providers, financial services firms, and entertainment, automotive, insurance, construction, restaurant, and food and beverage companies.
Formation, Compliance: Handled the formation, regulatory compliance and employment aspects of multiple medi-spas.
Harassment Defense: Successfully represented regional ophthalmology practice against two hostile work environment claims.
Insurance Industry Counsel: Advised insurance industry employers on numerous issues relating to independent contractors, commissions, broker compensation, theft of client lists, announcements vs. solicitation, broker of record matters, noncompetition, and trade secrets.
National Origin and Age Discrimination, Retaliation: Successfully litigated a discrimination and retaliation matter, settling for a mere 5% of the original demand, while representing one of the largest national restaurant franchisees within the fast-casual space. By strategically conducting key witness interviews during mediation, the mediator heard the pivotal witnesses’ account of the factual events, which led to the low settlement.
Sexual Harassment Counsel: Conducted and advised employers on numerous sexual harassment investigations relating to conduct in dealerships.
Sexual Harassment Defense: Resolved dual sexual harassment suits brought against regional painting company.
Sexual Harassment Defense: Successfully represented talent manager in sexual harassment lawsuit brought by former office personnel.
Wage & Hour Class Action Defense: Represented multiple families in employment issues concerning caregivers and nurses.
Wage & Hour Class Action Defense: Helped clients obtain favorable settlements in numerous wage and hour class action cases alleging a variety of violations including failure to pay overtime, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, and related causes of action.
Wage & Hour Defense: Handled and resolved dual wage and hour claim brought by former drivers of national produce company.
Wage & Hour Defense: Successfully resolved wage and hour lawsuit brought against national limousine company by drivers claiming unpaid overtime and off-the-clock work.
Whistleblowing Defense: Human resources director of a Los Angeles-based national meat packing plant set up her employer by hiring illegal immigrants, only to then blow the whistle on the employer for employing an illegal workforce. Conducted a tactical investigation designed to establish the HR director’s involvement in hiring the illegal workforce. By seeking an early resolution through mediation prior to a lawsuit filing, damage was greatly mitigated and exposure was reduced to one-tenth of what it would have been had litigation commenced.
Whistleblowing Defense: Successfully defended employer against a whistleblowing claim in which the plaintiff reported our client to the California Department of Insurance without understanding regulatory distinction between commercial and personal lines.
Whistleblowing, Sexual Harassment Defense: Handled sexual harassment lawsuit for a tow company resulting in the minimum recovery by establishing the defense of consent.
Wrongful Termination and Violation of Public Party: Successfully represented a food wholesaler in a wrongful termination and wage and hour matter.
- October 14, 2019
- March 1, 2019
- October 8, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- July 26, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- June 21, 2017
- Dana Kravetz Appointed to Advisory Board of Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment RelationsNovember 8, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- Mona Z. Hanna Named Among Top 50 Women Attorneys in S. CA and Top 50 Attorneys in Orange County for 2016 by Super Lawyers; Hanna joins Michelman and Kravetz on List of Top 100 Attorneys in S. CAFebruary 8, 2016
- February 5, 2016
- August 18, 2015
- May 5, 2015
- January 28, 2015
- January 20, 2015
- After 20 years, Michelman & Robinson has expanded its areas of focus as well as its size.Daily Journal, June 5, 2019
- Business Insider, Erie News Now, Business Aviation and Corporate Jet Investor, February 27, 2019
- Daily Journal, January 28, 2019
- Law360, January 1, 2019
- HR Dive, September 17, 2018
- Daily Journal, September 14, 2018
- Nation's Restaurant News, July 27, 2018
- Daily Journal, June 11, 2018
- Hotel News Now, May 30, 2018
- SHRM, May 24, 2018
- Daily Journal, May 22, 2018
- Big Law Business (Bloomberg Law), May 22, 2018
- Hotel Management, March 12, 2018
- Hotel Management, February 1, 2018
- Law360, January 9, 2018
- Hotel News Now, December 18, 2017
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 15, 2017
- Hotel Management, October 12, 2017
- Hotel Management, September 22, 2017
- New York Law Journal, September 14, 2017
- Hotel Management, July 20, 2017
- Hotel News Now, June 12, 2017
- Law360, February 3, 2017
- Hotel News Now, January 12, 2017
- Law360, May 18, 2016
- Hotel News Now, March 4, 2016
- Hotel News Now, September 4, 2015
- AAHOA Lodging Business, July 8, 2015
- Asian Hospitality, July 8, 2015
- Daily Journal, May 26, 2015
- Hotel Business Review, August 4, 2019
- Hotel Business Review, February 10, 2019
- Corporate Counsel, December 11, 2018
- Hotel Business Review, November 11, 2018
- Hotel Business Review, July 29, 2018
- Hotel News Now, July 24, 2018
- Hotel Business Review, May 20, 2018
- Hotel Business Review, March 18, 2018
- Hotel News Now, March 7, 2018
- Hotel Business Review, December 3, 2017
- Hotel Business Review, October 3, 2017
- HOTELS Magazine, September 25, 2017
- Hotel Business Review, August 8, 2017
- Nation's Restaurant News, April 26, 2017
- Hotel Business Review, March 6, 2017
- Law360, November 23, 2016
- Restaurant Hospitality, November 22, 2016
- Hotel Business Review, November 21, 2016
- Hotel News Now, September 7, 2016
- Employment Law Strategist, July 2016
- Hotel Management, May 31, 2016
- HALA Newsletter, November 10, 2015
- CH&LA Industry Newsletter, September 30, 2015
- HALA Newsletter, July 23, 2015
- Hotel Management, February 2015
- California Lodging News, Winter 2015
Past Speaking Engagements
- National HR in Hospitality ConferenceLas Vegas, NV, March 25, 2019
- 2019 ALIS Law ConferenceLos Angeles, CA, January 28, 2019
- HR in Hospitality ConferenceLas Vegas, NV, March 6, 2018
- ALIS Law ConferenceLos Angeles, CA, January 22, 2018
- Cornell Institute for Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations (CIHLER) and Michelman & Robinson, LLPLos Angeles, CA, July 11, 2017
- NYU International Hospitality Industry Investment ConferenceNew York, NY, June 6, 2017
- ALIS LawLos Angeles, California, January 24, 2017
- Hotel Association of Los Angeles and Michelman & Robinson, LLPLos Angeles, CA, November 15, 2016
- Hotel Owner ConferenceSan Diego, CA, May 13, 2016
- Hospitality Law ConferenceHouston, TX, February 23, 2016
- Hotel Association of Los Angeles and Michelman & Robinson, LLPUniversal City, January 28, 2016
- ALIS LawLos Angeles, CA, January 26, 2016
- CHOICE Hotels 2015 ConventionLas Vegas, NV, May 14, 2015
- CHOICE Hotels 2015 ConventionLas Vegas, NV, May 13, 2015
- CHOICE Hotels 2015 ConventionLas Vegas, NV, May 13, 2015
- Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS) Law ConferenceLos Angeles, CA, January 27, 2015
- Minimum Wage Is on the Rise . . . Again July 2, 2018
- Yet Another Threat to Arbitration May 30, 2018
- Employment Classification Just Took a Left Turn in California May 7, 2018
- Anticipating Trump’s Impact on Labor Relations in the Hotel Industry December 12, 2016
- “Indirect Control” — New NLRB Joint Employer Rule Headed for Appeal April 28, 2016
- The City of Sacramento Votes to Increase the Minimum Wage November 6, 2015
- Governor Brown Vetoes Controversial AB 465 October 27, 2015
- NLRB’s Joint Employer Decision Could Uproot Hotel Franchise Model October 19, 2015
- Seminal NLRB Decision Redefines Joint Employer Liability August 27, 2015
- Looming Pay Hikes, Unions and Enforcement: A Primer on LA’s Increased Minimum Hotel Wage July 23, 2015
- New York Raises Minimum Wage to $7.50 for Tipped Employees February 25, 2015
- LA City Council Approves Substantial Hotel Minimum-Wage Hike September 24, 2014
- NLRB Says Franchisors are Jointly Liable for the Acts of Franchisees August 19, 2014
- Managing the Millennial Hospitality Employee July 29, 2014
- Pitfalls Associated with the Use of Automatic Time Cards February 14, 2014
- In Practice: New Bill May Invite Litigation November 6, 2013
- Hospitality Law ConferenceFebruary 23, 2016
- Los Angeles Hotelier Guide to Navigating the 2016 Legal LandscapeJanuary 28, 2016
- 2015 Choice Hotels ConventionMay 13, 2015
- 2014 Hospitality Law Annual ConferenceFebruary 11, 2014
- California Department of Transportation (Cal Trans) Employment Law SeminarOctober 2, 2013
- National Employment Law Institute (NELI) SeminarJune 27, 2013