Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
American Bar Association
Los Angeles Bar Association
Mexican American Bar Association
Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
University of Southern California School of Law, J.D.
Yale University, B.S.
An associate in M&R’s Los Angeles office, Celina Kirchner advises clients primarily in the insurance, advertising and digital media, Internet, and software and technology industries. Within the insurance landscape, Ms. Kirchner provides strategic counsel to insurance companies, private equity funds, reinsurers, agents and other insurance industry professionals on complex transactional and regulatory matters. She supports her advertising and digital media clients through formation, corporate structuring, mergers and reorganizations, state insurance regulation, market conduct, and policy coverage issues.
Ms. Kirchner dedicates a significant segment of her practice to company formation with a focus on preventing future litigation by ensuring optimal organization and structure during a venture’s early stages. She also has significant experience in business litigation and arbitration.
Ms. Kirchner frequently works with start-up businesses and emerging companies, particularly in the technology field. She drafts formation documents, negotiates contracts and vendor agreements, and assists in resolution of contract disputes. She worked on the incorporation of a virtual reality startup company, and assisted in a stock transfer transaction resulting in a substantial cash investment for an existing tech company. Additionally, she has successfully defended M&R clients throughout the litigation process, from developing litigation strategy before a complaint is filed through all phases of the discovery process, settlement negotiations, and preparing for trial.
Ms. Kirchner is a member of M&R's Conflicts Ethics & Opinion and Diversity, Multiculturalism & Inclusion Committees.
Prior to joining M&R, Ms. Kirchner worked as a Certified Law Student Advocate for the Post-Conviction Justice Project, where she prepared habeas corpus petitions, represented inmates at parole suitability hearings, and lobbied for youth inmate rights at the California senate. She was also the Southern California Regional Manager for the Ivy Division of Revolution Prep, providing marketing expertise in the Southern California education market.
Ms. Kirchner earned her J.D. from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law in 2013, where she participated in a wide variety of academic and extracurricular activities. She acted as Copy Editor for the Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal and Curriculum Director for Street Law, a group dedicated to bringing legal education to underserved middle and high school students. She also served as President of the Latino Law Students Association and Vice President of Events for Legal Aid Alternative Breaks, a group that organized volunteer trips for USC law students over academic breaks. Finally, Ms. Kirchner was the Business Manager of Lawcapella, the only law student a capella group at USC Gould School of Law. Before starting her legal education, Ms. Kirchner graduated with a B.S. in Psychology from Yale University in 2010. While at Yale, she was selected as Class Insight speaker, which afforded her the opportunity to present a humorous speech about her class’ time at Yale during Commencement. She also received the Andrew Patterson Award for distinguished contributions to her class.
Awards & Recognition
Ms. Kirchner has been named to the 2016 list of Southern California Rising Stars by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Business Formation: Drafted an operating agreement for formation of a virtual reality production company.
- Contract Drafting: Drafted vendor agreements, nondisclosure agreements, employment agreements, and other business contracts, including portions unique to the needs of the gaming and software industries.
- Contract Dispute: Negotiated settlement of a contract dispute between two entertainment production companies.
- Corporate Insurance Transaction: Assisted with due diligence review of four target insurance companies in preparation for acquisition by major national insurer.
- Corporate Insurance Transaction: Assisted with completing key acquisition documents in major equity investment transaction.
- Insurance Company Restructuring: Coordinated restructuring of insurance company, including changes to name and domicile, across all fifty states.
- Litigation: A prominent Los Angeles hotel was sued by a restaurant patron who claimed to have injured himself while sitting in the staff section of the hotel restaurant. M&R settled the matter early in litigation by demonstrating the plaintiff’s failure to take responsibility for his own safety.
- Piercing the Corporate Veil Complex Litigation: M&R’s client, a major lender, filed suit against a corporation that had drained its assets and failed to repay its loan. By investigating the corporation’s background, we discovered that it was being used as the alter ego of a single person who had been draining the corporation’s assets for his own personal use. We successfully implemented a successful piercing of the corporate veil strategy to hold him liable for the corporation’s debts.
- Daily Journal, March 23, 2017
- MediaLink’s Founder Taps its Long-Time Advisor Michelman & Robinson, LLP in its Sale to Ascential plcPress Release, March 22, 2017
- GeekWire, August 6, 2016
- Young Upstarts, August 25, 2015
Past Speaking Engagements
- Digital Entertainment WorldLos Angeles, CA, February 2, 2017
- Digital Entertainment WorldLos Angeles, CA, February 2, 2017
- Silicon Beach FestMarina del Rey, CA, August 26, 2016
- Digital WOMENLos Angeles, CA, March 8, 2016
- SoGal YouTuber FestSanta Monica, CA, November 14, 2015
- Silicon Beach Fest 2015Marina Del Rey, CA, June 25, 2015
- Digital LatinoLos Angeles, CA, May 5, 2015
- Pokémon Oh No! Augmented reality raises specter of personal injury claims August 11, 2016
- Hulu Prepares to Launch New Cable TV-Like Service May 4, 2016
- FTC Cracking Down on Body Care Products . . . Naturally April 22, 2016
- Is Hulu Really Going “Ad-Free?” September 9, 2015
- Celina Kirchner Explains Why Every Startup Needs an Attorney May 5, 2015
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R) Insurance Hot TopicsMay 2017
- Digital Entertainment WorldFebruary 2, 2017
- Silicon Beach FestSeptember 2, 2016
- Digital WOMENMarch 8, 2016
- SoGal YouTuber FestNovember 14, 2015
- Silicon Beach FestJune 25, 2015
- Digital Latino: Startups, Content & SocialMay 5, 2015