Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- Connecticut State Bar
American Bar Association (Standing Committee on Law and National Security)
American Society of International Law
New York City Bar Association
Gerson Lehrman Group
International Center for Ethno-Religious Mediation (Board Member)
New York Law School (Adjunct Professor of Law)
St. George’s University, School of Graduate Studies (Former Visiting Professor of Law)
United Nations Development Programme Ghana (former Advisor)
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
Cornell University, B.A.
Amit K. Chhabra
Amit Chhabra is a Regulatory Attorney who counsels his clients on governmental agency inquiries, exchange examinations and investigations implicating the securities, derivatives, futures and commodities laws. He advises leading banks and other financial institutions on a wide range of regulatory risk, crisis management and compliance issues. Focusing on government relations, he represents foreign banking interests to the Federal Reserve, U.S. Treasury, SEC, CFTC, state regulators and legislative bodies including the U.S. Congress.
Mr. Chhabra advises clients on the expansion and introduction of financial products into local capital markets around the world. He has considerable experience in the areas of banking, securities, futures and derivatives regulation. Mr. Chhabra also offers counsel regarding structured fund investments, divestments, intra-group dealings, organic changes, IHC and Resolution Plan issues, customer agreement policies, anticipated congressional amendments and agency rule-making.
Mr. Chhabra possesses regulatory expertise in the Volcker Rule, Dodd Frank Title VII, ISDA Protocol, Investment Company Act of 1940, Bank Holding Company Act, Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Commodity Exchange Act, International Banking Act, Basel Accords, Federal Reserve's Enhanced Prudential Standards, Regulations K, W and YY. He has significant experience working with FINRA counsel to secure approvals for mergers, subordinated debt, intra-group financings, joint back office operations and beneficial ownership changes.
Mr. Chhabra is currently on assignment with a leading financial services group and global investment bank.
Mr. Chhabra undertakes many pro bono matters in the human rights field. He is a board member at the International Center for Ethno-Religious Mediation, and an Adjunct Professor of Law at New York Law School. He previously served as an advisor to the United Nations Development Programme Ghana on constitutional law matters, and as a Visiting Professor of Law for St. George’s University where he lectured and wrote on international law, security, criminal responsibility and medical ethics. He provides ongoing advice to an Armenian advocacy group with respect to the Nagorno-Karabakh issue.
Mr. Chhabra earned his J.D. from Notre Dame Law School, during which time he interned for Honorable George B. Daniels (SDNY) and externed for Honorable Ilana D. Rovner (US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit), and was recognized as a Notre Dame Public Interest Law Fellow.
• Structured $1B private equity real estate BRIC/North America offering, including management company constituent documents.
• Structured $300M commercial real estate-collateralized debt obligation, including joint venture, stock purchase agreement and warehouse facility.
• Represented India-based bank in UK market by preparing $100M Private Placement Memorandum for Mauritian umbrella fund, along with fund constitution and investment facilitation agreement.
• Developed 1940 Act registered closed-end fund feeding into a Mauritian parent fund so as to preserve double
taxation avoidance aim. Secured Shariah Board guidance and sub-fund approval.
• Structured Luxembourg-based SICAV with feeder into bank subsidiary’s Mauritian umbrella fund so as to preserve double-taxation avoidance aim and to centralize management in Luxembourg.
- The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs , 2016
- Fordham Law Review2014
- Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law , 2013
- Boston University International Law Journal , 2013
- University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law , 2013
- Foreign Policy Journal, November 22, 2011
- NY Metro Hedge Fund Law & News, September 15, 2011
Past Speaking Engagements
- Annual International Conference on Ethnic and Religious Conflict Resolution and PeacebuildingYonkers, NY, October 2015
- The Role of Mediation in the Peaceful Settlement of Disputes with Ethnic and Religious Components – The UN PerspectiveSecond Annual International Conference on Ethnic and Religious Conflict Resolution and PeacebuildingYonkers, NY, October 2015
- Marino Bar ReviewNew York, NY, May 2014
- Bioethics Grand RoundsSaint George’s University, Grenada, November 2013
- Bioethics Grand RoundsSaint George’s University, Grenada, October 2013
- Bioethics Grand RoundsSaint George’s University, Grenada, September 2012
- Saint George’s University, Grenada, April 2012
- Saint George’s University, Grenada, February 2012
- Cornell Undergraduate Research Forum colloquiumCornell University, Ithaca, New York, April 1998