Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
California Bar Association (Litigation Section)
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
Purchase College, State University of New York (SUNY), B.A.
Alicia C. O’Brien is an associate in M&R’s Los Angeles office. She is a member of the Commercial and Business Litigation Department, where she regularly represents hotel owners and operators, and other hospitality industry clients, in matters ranging from premises liability to intellectual property.
Ms. O’Brien has experience in several phases of litigation, such as drafting demand letters, dispositive motions, ex parte applications, discovery requests and responses, and evidentiary objections, as well as preparing cases for trial. She has counseled clients through mediation, which included drafting mediation briefs, conducting settlement negotiations and preparing settlement agreements. She has researched and drafted a motion for the California Supreme Court, and has written strategy memoranda related to landlord-tenant disputes at hotels; products liability for a restaurant owner; joint and several liability and comparative fault; trademark and intellectual property; and premises liability for hotel owners and operators.
Ms. O’Brien is a member of Women Attorneys of M&R (WAMR).
Ms. O’Brien donates her time to Bet Tzedek Legal services, where she prepares statutory wills and advanced directives for clients. She also volunteers at senior clinics and the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles’s Skid Row clinic.
Prior to joining M&R, Ms. O’Brien served as a Judicial Extern and Fellow to Justice Victoria G. Chaney of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal. She drafted appellate court opinions concerning Anti-SLAPP, juvenile dependency, Three Strikes Law, the ex-post facto clause and 6th Amendment rights under the confrontation clause. She was a law clerk for a mid-sized law firm and worked for the Los Angeles City Attorney in the Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) Division. Ms. O’Brien also has experience in government and public relations: she worked as an Account Executive at Gibbs & Soell Global Communications in New York, spent two years as a Legislative Aid for Ogilvy Government Relations in Washington D.C. and worked as an Advance Press Lead on a presidential and U.S. senatorial campaign.
Ms. O’Brien earned her J.D., from the University of California at Los Angeles School of Law. She participated in the 1L Moot Court competition and year-long trial advocacy clinic. The recipient of the 2015 Los Angeles Chapter’s American Board of Trial Advocates Law Student Award, she also worked as a student attorney for the El Centro Legal Clinics, including the Skid Row Clinic and Public Counsel Cares. Ms. O’Brien received her B.A., in history, summa cum laude, from Purchase College, State University of New York (SUNY), where she was awarded the Richard Maas History Award for highest academic achievement by a history major.
- Construction Defect: Assisted in pre-trial preparation for a complex construction defect case including drafting motions in limine that were granted at trial.
- Employment: Appeared on behalf of the City of Los Angeles in a civil service employee dismissal hearing before the Los Angeles Civil Service Commissioner.
- Intellectual Property: Prepared recommendations for a prominent restaurant chain owner seeking to franchise on national and international brand protection including trademarks, copyrights, and patents.
- Landlord-Tenant Law for Hoteliers: Prepared strategy memoranda on relevant landlord-tenant law for hotel owner and operator where a overstay hotel guest gained tenancy rights. Prepared settlement agreement between guest and hotel owner/operator to resolve the dispute amicably.
- Litigation: Drafted numerous ex parte applications on discovery and pre-trial issues and obtained favorable results in contentious premises liability litigation concerning injury to a child from falling out a hotel window.
- Litigation: Obtained favorable result for hotelier in a case of alleged bed-bugs in a hotel by prevailing on a demurrer to the fraud cause of action and motion to strike punitive damages.
- Mediation: Assisted the Los Angeles Unified School District in special education mediations with parents of special needs students in the district.
- Premises Liability for Hoteliers: After prevailing on summary judgment in a case where a hotel restaurant patron was allegedly bit by a spider in an outdoor patio, secured award of nearly all of defendant’s litigation costs.
- Products Liability for Restaurant Owners: In case where plaintiff claimed food poisoning from food consumed at defendant’s restaurant, evaluated claims made and relevant law to prepare initial litigation strategy memorandum and case evaluation.
- Property Loss at Hotel: Obtained early settlement by drafting demurrer and motion to strike where the complaint alleged property loss from a hotel room above the recoverable statutory minimum under the applicable California hotel law.
- Wage and hour: Prevailed in a wage case before the Los Angeles Labor Commissioner. The client was awarded the full amount in the complaint including all unpaid wages, overtime, rest and meal break premiums and waiting time penalties.
- Hotel News Now, March 30, 2017
- California Hotel & Lodging Association Industry Newsletter, December 14, 2016
- Hotel News Now, September 30, 2016
Past Speaking Engagements
- AAHOAWebinar, October 6, 2016
- INSECURE: Is Your Hotel Security Staff Exposing You to Liability? November 15, 2016
- Be Warned: Prop 65 Emergency Regulation on BPA Takes Effect May 11, 2016