M&R’s White-Collar Defense & Investigations Practice Group represents corporations, boards of directors, executives, and other individuals around the globe in high-stakes matters relating to white-collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement actions and investigations, and corporate internal investigations. We have extensive experience handling every aspect of such complex cross-border and domestic matters, which oftentimes involve multiple regulators, enforcement authorities, and sometimes private actions.
The attorneys from M&R’s White Collar Group—including our board-certified criminal trial specialists—call on a full range of skills and resources from our other practice groups, allowing us to represent clients across multiple sectors in areas that include:
- Anti-money laundering and Bank Secrecy Act
- U.S. economic sanctions violations and compliance
- U.S. False Claims Act
- Anti-corruption and U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Import/export violations
- Economic espionage and theft of trade secrets
- Environmental violations
- Health care fraud
- Privacy and cybersecurity
- Procurement fraud
- Securities, financial institution and accounting fraud
- Commodities fraud and market manipulation
- Tax offenses
We navigate all stages of the investigative and prosecutorial process in cases involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Internal Revenue Service, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Defense, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Office of Foreign Assets Control, and various state attorney generals’ offices. From grand jury subpoenas and trials to appeals and post-verdict litigation, we are exceptional advocates with extensive experience.
To reduce the impact of these actions on business, we also conduct thorough, reliable, and cost-effective internal investigations, clearly defining their scope with our clients from the start to focus on the key issues—all with an eye toward using the investigative record to persuade the government to decline prosecution or enforcement when appropriate.
Federal Investigation: Conducted an internal investigation for a major defense contractor in connection with a federal investigation into cost accounting practices.
Federal Investigation: Represented a company in a federal criminal investigation into consumer fraud, mislabeling and customs violations.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Counseled various clients on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) requirements.
Fraudulent Sampling: Represented a company alleged to have presented fraudulent sampling results in order to obtain a State Pollution Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) permit. The matter involved extensive Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) investigations.
Medicare Reimbursement: Represented a medical equipment manufacturer in an investigation involving Medicare reimbursement.
Medicare Reimbursement: Represented several physicians in connection with Medicare reimbursement issues and allegations of fraudulent billing practices.
Private Equity Fund Governmental Investigation: Successfully defended a high-profile private equity firm being investigated by several governmental agencies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Justice and multiple offices of the Attorney General, which together sought to a $30+ million fine. After years of litigation in eight different jurisdictions, resolved the matter with “closing letters” stating the investigation was over, and later obtained a $9 million investigation reimbursement from a third party.
Procurement Fraud: Represented a defense contractor in a federal criminal investigation into procurement fraud.
Regulatory Action: Represented a major health insurer in a regulatory action seeking to invalidate decisions made on 800+ claims.
- October 12, 2021
- September 29, 2021
- February 3, 2022
- December 14, 2021
- December 9, 2021
- Law360, March 14, 2022
- Global Investigations Review, October 27, 2021
- Law360, September 29, 2021
- Insurance Journal, September 20, 2021
- Global Investigations Review, August 31, 2021
- Law360, January 7, 2021
- Corporate Counsel, October 28, 2020
- Department of Justice Targets Fraud and Corruption within Substance Abuse Disorder Treatment Industry December 20, 2021
- Federal Authorities Have Their Eyes on Treatment Facilities, Sober Living Home Operators and Marketers, Especially in Orange County November 15, 2021
- Binance De-Platforms Suex Exchange Amid Groundbreaking Sanctions: Potential New Standards in Cryptocurrency Compliance October 18, 2021
- 5 Corporate Takeaways from the Facebook Whistleblower Hearing October 13, 2021
- SEC v. BitConnect: New Technology, Same Old Financial Fraud October 4, 2021
- Quick Resource Guide to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) for Turkish Companies September 30, 2021
- The Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020: New Rules for Your Business July 15, 2021
- The U.S. Has Designated 18 Additional Iranian Banks for Sanctions October 14, 2020
- CFTC Issues Guidance on Corporate Compliance Programs October 13, 2020
- Delaware and U.S. Treasury to Collaborate on Sanctions Enforcement October 7, 2020
- Webinar, November 2021
- December 17, 2020