Smart Strategies for Employee TerminationPDF Urgent Care Association of America (UCAOA) Spring Conference
Damaris Medina spoke at the Urgent Care Association of America Spring Convention on “Smart Strategies for Employee Termination.”
The success of an urgent care center is a direct reflection of its staff. For this reason, one of the most important skills urgent care centers must cultivate is how to effectively manage their human resources issues. Perhaps the stickiest situations that frequently arise are how best to handle problem employees, and further, how to deal with employee terminations when necessary. This includes making decisions regarding when and whether to terminate an employee, and the proper protocol for performing the termination. It is imperative that urgent care centers understand the legal implications of these decisions in order to limit any potential legal liability associated with them.
At the conclusion of this session, attendees understood:
- The risks associated with problem employees and employee terminations;
- How to avoid litigation risks with effective recruitment, screening, and training;
- The pros and cons of written disciplinary forms and performance improvement plans;
- The most common lawsuits that employees file; and
- Effective strategies for reducing risk when making termination decisions.