Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
Wabash College, B.A.
Michael Hatchett represents M&R’s Corporate & Securities Department. Mr. Hatchett focuses on corporate transactions, including private placements, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, real estate investments, and debt and equity financing transactions. He has broad experience providing strategic advice to senior management at large financial institutions, pharmaceutical corporations and manufacturing companies, as well as start-ups and family owned businesses.
Partnering with his clients, Mr. Hatchett advises on all stages of a transaction, from pre-deal planning and strategy through negotiation and execution, to financing, closing and post-closing activities. His extensive background in finance and transactional law, as well as his experience in senior corporate management, allow him to take a practical and strategic approach to his practice.
Mr. Hatchett routinely drafts and negotiates agreements and other documents to facilitate mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and similar strategic relationships, as well as private placements. He also advises on governance and exit strategies for newly formed entities.
Mr. Hatchett leads the firm's Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions and Tax Practice Group.
From 2001 to 2008, Mr. Hatchett served as a Managing Director of ICP Partners, LLC, a private equity investment partnership. In that role, he participated as a senior principal in every deal completed by the firm and served as the management lead in structuring the firm's transactions, including negotiating purchase agreements, partnership agreements, equity investments and debt.
Mr. Hatchett received his J.D. from Columbia University Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He was conferred his B.A. from Wabash College, magna cum laude, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- Inbound Investment: Mr. Hatchett regularly advises international companies and individuals seeking to expand their business in the United States. He advises on entity structure, US and State investment programs and the opportunities and pitfalls of the US market.
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Partnerships: Mr. Hatchett represented Iguazu Atlantic Partners LLC, a London based private equity partnership, in its pursuits of joint ventures in the mining industry in West Africa, Canada and the United States. He conducted onsite due diligence, drafted letters of intent, negotiated mining rights and negotiated debt finance.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Mr. Hatchett led a team of lawyers in the roll up of medical service providers, including the purchase of an ambulatory service provider and an in home care provider. He negotiated the terms of sale, the purchase agreement, organized a new holding company and assisted in the negotiation for new debt and equity for the combined firm.
- New Market Tax Credits: Mr. Hatchett represented developer Full Spectrum of NY, LLC and My Image Studios Inc., in the closing of a $21 million New Markets Tax Credit financing that provided the debt and equity to build a 20,000 square foot African and Hispanic restaurant, production facility and arts and culture center in Harlem, New York. He led a team of multi-disciplinary lawyers (including real estate, banking , tax and finance counsel) in structuring the deal, which included senior and junior debt, sale of tax credits for equity, and additional capital from the investors. Mr. Hatchett reviewed and coordinated numerous legal documents including loan agreements, corporate reorganizational documents, a building and construction agreement and a tax opinion on the structure of the deal.
- Private Placement: Mr. Hatchett successfully advised a manufacturing licensee of the National Basketball Association with the sale of its stock in a private placement equity financing with angel investors. He helped draft, prepare and review the private placement memorandum, negotiated the investor term sheet, drafted the Member Unit Purchase Agreement, the Amended and Restated Limited Liability Company Agreement and various ancillary documents.
- Law360, June 10, 2016
- New York Law Journal, June 6, 2016
- May 31, 2016
- Becker's Hospital Review, August 30, 2016